incremental backup

i have HPDP 9.06 on Windows 2012r2 with StoreOnce appliance.

Is it possible to do full backup twice a year  to the tape and daily incremental backup to the disk(StoreOnce)?  i need backup about 35TB of data- most of it static and daily backup for compliance. main idea i don't want to waste 35TB of StoreOnce storage to keep static full backup.

Parents
  • This is possible, of course. But I ask you to consider the following items.

1. Unlinke tape a StoreOnce backup system is not designed to store backups over a very long time. For most data it works best for anything between 4 to 24 weeks retention. I've seen customers keeping data for 1 year without any issues. Anything beyond should go to tape. The same applies for pre-compressed and encrypted data.
    2. If you only store incremental (incr) or differential (incr 1) file system backups on StoreOnce, the Deduplication ratio will be low. This could also waste a lot of capacity.
    3. Try to prevent very long restore chains either by using differential (incr 1) backups or doing regular fulls. For example, if you do only one full backup per year (to tape) you will need to retain every incremental (incr) until the next full or differential (incr 1) is written.
    4. Why not backup full and differential (incr 1) to tape?

Please use the Accept Solution button next to my post and assign a Kudo (thumbs up) If this works for you.

Regards,
    Sebastian Koehler

• This is possible, of course. But I ask you to consider the following items.

1. Unlinke tape a StoreOnce backup system is not designed to store backups over a very long time. For most data it works best for anything between 4 to 24 weeks retention. I've seen customers keeping data for 1 year without any issues. Anything beyond should go to tape. The same applies for pre-compressed and encrypted data.
    2. If you only store incremental (incr) or differential (incr 1) file system backups on StoreOnce, the Deduplication ratio will be low. This could also waste a lot of capacity.
    3. Try to prevent very long restore chains either by using differential (incr 1) backups or doing regular fulls. For example, if you do only one full backup per year (to tape) you will need to retain every incremental (incr) until the next full or differential (incr 1) is written.
    4. Why not backup full and differential (incr 1) to tape?

Please use the Accept Solution button next to my post and assign a Kudo (thumbs up) If this works for you.

Regards,
    Sebastian Koehler

Children
  • 1. This backup is not for restore, mostly for compliance. the problem is that if i will use 2 drives it will take about a week to full backup of the data. in this case i cannot backup incrementals as drive is busy. i am going to do full backup 2-4 thimes a year.

2. I was told that if i will backup full to the tape and will start incremental to the disk it will start full instead as it could not find full backup. can you give instruction how i should configure backup to prevent it.

3. i have to do incremental as same filles are changed every day (Stock price, orders, e.g) and we have backup these changes daily. restore the data only in the case of low suit.

• wrote:

1. This backup is not for restore, mostly for compliance. the problem is that if i will use 2 drives it will take about a week to full backup of the data. in this case i cannot backup incrementals as drive is busy. i am going to do full backup 2-4 thimes a year.

Understood, while more drives could help in that situation.

wrote:

2. I was told that if i will backup full to the tape and will start incremental to the disk it will start full instead as it could not find full backup. can you give instruction how i should configure backup to prevent it.

This is just wrong. Data Protector will check if a object exist in the Internal Database (IDB) and is still protected. If you have two identical backup specs (one for full and one for incr) and make sure the backups chain gets not corrupted by expired backups you're fine. There are global options (ForceFull, IncrOnProtected) that might make your life complicated if they are configured wrong.

wrote:

3. i have to do incremental as same filles are changed every day (Stock price, orders, e.g) and we have backup these changes daily. restore the data only in the case of low suit.

In this case a daily differential (incr1) looks like the best option, since the data growth from the last full will be minimal.

Regards,
    Sebastian Koehler