DP 7.01 EADR from copy

I'm currently running a backup of a Windows Server 2008R2 server to a file library every night, then running a scheduled copy of a full backup session to tape every week.

I want to run an EADR of the server to our test environment, and I'm successful as far as booting the DR image and starting the online restore. But it seems to only check for the original file library (not available in the DR site so it fails with "Could not connect to inet") for the restore media, and won't allow me to restore from the copy on tape.

How do I designate the tape copy as the media for an EADR restore? Any help at all would be appreciated.

Parents
  • Verified Answer

Hi,

following to the DP Guide EADR from copied media is not supported. Copied from a colleague:

Problem

Disaster recovery from a copy

You cannot perform a disaster recovery from a media copy or an object copy.

Data Protector by default uses the original media set to perform a disaster recovery. Thus, copy object versions are not displayed in the Disaster Recovery Wizard of the Data Protector GUI.

Action

To perform a disaster recovery from a media copy or an object copy, if your original media set is

not available or is damaged, proceed as follows:

• Object copy: Export all media in the original media set from the IDB and then regenerate the SRD file. Data Protector then offers you the first available copy of the original media set in the Disaster Recovery Wizard.

• Media copy: In the SRD file, replace media IDs of the original media with media IDs of the media copies. Data Protector then offers you the first available copy of the original media set in the Disaster Recovery Wizard.

Best regards

Daniel

• Verified Answer

Hi,

following to the DP Guide EADR from copied media is not supported. Copied from a colleague:

Problem

Disaster recovery from a copy

You cannot perform a disaster recovery from a media copy or an object copy.

Data Protector by default uses the original media set to perform a disaster recovery. Thus, copy object versions are not displayed in the Disaster Recovery Wizard of the Data Protector GUI.

Action

To perform a disaster recovery from a media copy or an object copy, if your original media set is

not available or is damaged, proceed as follows:

• Object copy: Export all media in the original media set from the IDB and then regenerate the SRD file. Data Protector then offers you the first available copy of the original media set in the Disaster Recovery Wizard.

• Media copy: In the SRD file, replace media IDs of the original media with media IDs of the media copies. Data Protector then offers you the first available copy of the original media set in the Disaster Recovery Wizard.

Best regards

Daniel

Children