Unable to confirm the amount of LTO3 media usage on DP 9.00 GUI after scheduled backups completed

Hi,

I've started evaluating Data Protector 9.00, evaluation edition, for validation of its future on-premises

deployment in our company.

Since then, I've been unable to confirm the amount of LTO3 media usage on DP 9.00 GUI

after scheduled backups completed although they seemed to be really done.

FYI, LTO3 drive unit itself is SCSI external one. If anyone knows, please let me know the cause of and how to fix it.

Regards,

Ta-chang 

Parents
  • Media Usage depends on the amount of data and compressability, not related to the Tool.

DataProtector logs the number of Medias used within each single Session in the Session Stats.

Also you can check the amout written to each Tape in Devices&Media->Pools Section.

• When you talk about 'Media Usage', are you referring to how much is on each media, or how many media were used?

One handy way is to use the 'omnirpt' function, for example

omnirpt -report used_media -timeframe [start] [finish]          Do not include the [   ] marks

So, for example, for the past 24 hours

omnirpt -report used_media -timeframe 24 24

Results are sent to standard output.  You can also send this to e-mail in HTML format if you just want a report to look at

omnirpt -report used_media -timeframe 24 24 -html -smtp [e-mail address]

My own preference, especially if I need to extract information is to use the '-tab' qualifier

omnirpt -report used_media -timeframe 24 24 -tab -log C:\temp\last_24.txt

The output file can be imported into Excell

Used_media:

Lists destination media that have been used by backup, object copy, and object consolidation
    sessions in the specific time frame together with their statistics. By default, the report is generated
    for all session specifications. Use the report filtering options to generate a report only for a
    specific backup, object copy, or object consolidation specification

There is also a Used_media_extended, which give a littel more information

Will this work for you?  Maybe, or maybe this isn't what you are looking for.  I advise you to click on Help -> Giudes in the GUI, open the CLI (Command Line Interpreter) Guide, in Section 1, find 'omnirpt'.  There is a lot more there than I can  possibly talk about

Also, nearly everything in 'omnirpt' can be configured as a Report in the GUI, and run as a scheduled actifity

• Hi,

Since then, no one replied to me in this post and I couldn't help gathering

information by myself...

I speculated that there had been someting wrong with my LTO drive compatibility,

because it was Sun's OEM drive which probably would be equivalent to

HP LTO Ultrium 960 SCSI.

Does anyone know about the root cause of this issue and whether my speculation is correct?

Regards,

Ta-chang

• Sun/Oracle LTO Drives are just HP or IBM Drives with modified Firmware.

We have plenty of them in use, only differnce is we have them attached to FibreChannel.

Probably we don't get what you really search for.

If you think your Tapes weren't written to full capacity you probably don't have to worry. DataProtector writes the Tapes full all the way before exchanging for a new one.

Exception are newer Drives like T10'000C with more then 4TB capacity, that Bug probably will fall with DP9.02.

Where to find the Capacity written to tape after Hardwarecompression was already well described by Bob

• Sun/Oracle LTO Drives are just HP or IBM Drives with modified Firmware.

We have plenty of them in use, only differnce is we have them attached to FibreChannel.

Probably we don't get what you really search for.

If you think your Tapes weren't written to full capacity you probably don't have to worry. DataProtector writes the Tapes full all the way before exchanging for a new one.

Exception are newer Drives like T10'000C with more then 4TB capacity, that Bug probably will fall with DP9.02.

Where to find the Capacity written to tape after Hardwarecompression was already well described by Bob

• Sorry for my poor explanation, but unfortunately what Bob and you, svollrat said

have not met the content I want to know. Thus, I'll summarize my mention again.

Have you looked at Screenshot on DP 9.00 GUI.jpg I've attached at the beginning of this week?

If your answer is "yes", can you recognize the fact that the media usage shows evidently

0% graphically on it, although it had been really taken after the individual backup task finished?

In other words, is this situation good not any software bug on DP 9.00?

Regards,

Ta-chang

• Sorry for my poor explanation, but unfortunately what Bob and you, svollrat said

Have you looked at Screenshot on DP 9.00 GUI.jpg I've attached at the beginning of this week?

If your answer is "yes", can you recognize the fact that the media usage shows evidently

0% graphically on it, although it had been really taken after the individual backup task finished?

Regards,

Ta-chang

Regards,

Ta-chang

• I'll change my words slightly , because no one has not answered my question

correctly and entirely yet...

What I want to know is how to confirm how much remaining amount is

on each tape media visually and correctly on GUI.

FYI, after one of weekly backup tasks finished yesterday, I could temporarily

find it showed almost its real visible amount at that time, while couldn't do so

this morning.

I've not still known how to fix fundamental issue and been very confused...

Also been concerned about any compatibility problem with my LTO drive

or DP 9.00. 

Ta-chang

find it showed almost its real visible amount at that time, while couldn't do so

this morning.

or DP 9.00. 

Ta-chang

this morning.

or DP 9.00. 

Ta-chang

• You will never be able to precisely determine the amount of free Space on a Media.

Everything DataProtector can give you is an estimate compared to the first full write on the Tape.

Amount writeable to a Tape depends on the Data-Structure and how well it compresses in Hardware.

So LTO3 can hold 800GB (or less) with already compressed Data and over 2TB with good compressable Data.

The Graphics will only update once you have written the Tape from start to end once, after that DP uses the amount written during that pass as estimate for future writes.

To determine how much is free in your pools you should devide the Media into Retention Groups or according to DataType (DB, Archvies, Logs, VMs, File-Data, etc). After some cycles you can then calculate a average Media Size/Usage over each Pool. Will never be a precise value as you would have on a FileLibrary.

• You will never be able to precisely determine the amount of free Space on a Media.

Everything DataProtector can give you is an estimate compared to the first full write on the Tape.

Amount writeable to a Tape depends on the Data-Structure and how well it compresses in Hardware.

So LTO3 can hold 800GB (or less) with already compressed Data and over 2TB with good compressable Data.

The Graphics will only update once you have written the Tape from start to end once, after that DP uses the amount written during that pass as estimate for future writes.

To determine how much is free in your pools you should devide the Media into Retention Groups or according to DataType (DB, Archvies, Logs, VMs, File-Data, etc). After some cycles you can then calculate a average Media Size/Usage over each Pool. Will never be a precise value as you would have on a FileLibrary.

Children