Exchange Restore Fails - DP 9 - "creating the restore chain failed for database"

When attempting a (test) Exchange restore, I receive the following error when using DP 9:

 

[Minor] From: OB2BAR_E2010_BAR@<exchangeserver> "MS Exchange 2010 Server" Time: 04/03/2015 09:00:00
Getting the restore information from IDB and creating the restore chain failed for database MB06(e6efe5f7-1426-41c0-b151-f34000c42496).

 

[Critical] From: OB2BAR_E2010_BAR@<exchangeserver>  "MS Exchange 2010 Server" Time: 04/03/2015 09:00:00
No mailbox database copy can be selected for restore/instant recovery.

 

This happens when restoring from a full or diff backup, and to a file location and to a recovery db. I guess its failing before it gets to this stage, so there might be an issue with the backups? The backups themselves report as working fine.

 

The actual sessions report as follow (omnidb -session .. -detail):

 

Object name : <exchangeserver>:/Microsoft Exchange Writer(Exchange Replication Service)/Microsoft Information
tore/3fbfe0c7-57a6-4faf-bbfc-67ff9682bd12/Logs
Object type : MSVSSW-APP
Object status : Completed
Started : 01 March 2015, 21:39:09
Finished : 01 March 2015, 21:51:48
Object size : 14905013 KB
Backup type : Full
Protection : Protected for 3 days
Catalog retention : Same as data protection.
Version type : Normal
Access : Public
Number of warnings : 0
Number of errors : 0
Device name : RH_Disk_Writer0
Backup ID : 2015/03/01-3
Copy ID : FA6B03FD-6250-45DA-89F6-4FE4445FE7EE/139922 (Orig)
Encrypted : No
DiskAgent ID : 1425243609

 

Obviously there are a number of these entries; one for each exchange partition/db, but they all report as successful as above. Oh, and I am aware of the three day protection and these have not been overwritten when I attempt the restore.

 

Any advice would be appreciated.

  • I suspect that the problem might be in your Protection level.  The 'detail' report you included show that this is only protected for 3 days, so ther is a chance that on some of the other sessions invlived, the protection has expired.  If thisis the case, every day, Daily Maintenance looks for sessions whose protection has expired, it it find any, the session catalog is deleted, and the REstore chain is gone

     

    I advise that you check the protection on the Full and Differential Backups and make sure that they are all still protected

  • there are some bugs in the Integration that prevent proper Restore.

    Some of them are fixed in 9.02 but some are still in Lab.

    Suggest to check the SoftwareSupport KB for this issue.

  • Thanks all.

     

    I can confirm that while the protection levels are quite short, they were definitely still valid at the point of the restore. Indeed, using hte Granular Recovery Extension, I was able to get a successful restore... only it turns out we aren't licensed for GRE.

     

    Using just Data Protector, I was eventually able to get things working after contacting HP Business Support (fortunately we have a contract with them) and after some profitable back and forth, we got it working. 

     

    I manually created a omnirc file on the Exchange server in ProgramData\OmniBack and placed the line:

     

    OB2BARHOSTNAME=<our dag's fqdn>

     

    The key? It had to be in lower case. Gah! Who know DP was case sensitive...

     

    We only got this far because I was able to create debug logs and send them over (it's under preferences > debug (0-500)) and he picked through them. Paid for support is highly recommended!

     

    One other thing: even though we have local backups, we also have 1 week protected tape backups which DP wanted to default to. Kind of annoying. Maybe needs the config changing.

  • I'm glad to hear that you were able to get thsi worked out

     

    I do want to offer one cautionary note.  You made this statement

     

    " I was able to create debug logs and send them over (it's under preferences > debug (0-500)) "

     

    The range 0-500 can really cause soem problems in terms of disk space.  Range 332 can create BMA debugs in the Multiple GB range.  UNless asked ot do otherwise, I recommend that if you ened to debug, use the range

     

    1-331,333-500

  • good hint from Bob.

    This will reduce the BMA Log size a bit, still they wil grow to several GB, depending on the duration of your Job.

    So make sure to have enough space left or redirect the Debugs to another Folder/Drive using OB2DBGDIR in omnirc.

  • good hint from Bob.

    This will reduce the BMA Log size a bit, still they wil grow to several GB, depending on the duration of your Job.

    So make sure to have enough space left or redirect the Debugs to another Folder/Drive using OB2DBGDIR in omnirc.