Best strategy for Record Numbers already used

Hi,

WIn7, MS Office 2010, HPE RM8.3

Hi all,

what would be the best startegy to solve the issue of record numbers already used in TRIM for something else, e.g. 12 years ago or so, that are now desperately needed for something far more important .... But system is not letting us enter the record number that already exist in TRIM.

The numbering system (or the range of number is sued for some old record types , not used anymore, but records are there.... 80 % destroyed... but numbers are used...

What would be the State Records Office view on the idea to rename the numbers of records already destroyed (by adding another digit/letter) so that their original number can be used for this desperetaly needed for more important records.... (Off course, some references would be existing in those "old" reused numbers)

Has anyone had this issue before and how it was dealth with?

Thanks

Parents
  • The best way is to use a different number, you can do some of the options you have listed below but in my experience using a fresh numbering pattern will cause you far fewer headaches. There are so many options you can use, there should be a number that might have a slight difference that you can use. Perhaps adding the year to differentiate 

• The best way is to use a different number, you can do some of the options you have listed below but in my experience using a fresh numbering pattern will cause you far fewer headaches. There are so many options you can use, there should be a number that might have a slight difference that you can use. Perhaps adding the year to differentiate 

Children
  • Thanks,

love to do that, but, in this case, not applicable:

Two different record types were using similar numbering system pattern and they were not clashing until the one that is now extremely important record type reached the range of numbers that the other record type was using.....

The important (critical search) relationship now cannot be done because the numbers are used ....

And this important record type will need even more of those used numbers in the near future as the big projects are comming.

Obviously, 10-ish years ago nobody thought that the "freely using" the record numbers (alpha numerical combo) can produce some issues later..but...

In short, we must find the painless solution to reuse these used numbers .

Regards

• I don't believe there is a painless solution I'm afraid. If you need to go ahead with the original plan  then you'll have  breach records management protocol (not records manager the application, but the fundamental principals of managing records).