Audit log file

Hi Gurus,

Online Expert Day is on! i am taking this opportunity to ask here and hopefully get some replies.

TRIM6.2.4 

we are experience some problem with space disk drives. Apparently trim has created a huge amount of audit log.

1. If i disabled the audit logs in TES, what would happen? As i read all of the logs in C:/HP Record Manager/...ServerLocalData, the data reside is all about the query in db.

2. If i disabled the audit logs in TES, is it going to affect the online/offline audit log..means is it we cannot view the online audit logs?

3. What is the best practices for maintaining the audit log in serverlocaldata....

Thanks in Advance!!

• The offline audit files are just text files, you will notice the files are names based on the date. So at the end of the day or week or month there is no problem moving the files to another location or backing them up and removing them. Its totally up to the customer what they do with them.

1. If i disabled the audit logs in TES, what would happen? As i read all of the logs in C:/HP Record Manager/...ServerLocalData, the data reside is all about the query in db.

If you disable the processing of audit logs then no more files will be generated but the existing ones will not change. These are text files, they don't read anything from the database once written.

2. If i disabled the audit logs in TES, is it going to affect the online/offline audit log..means is it we cannot view the online audit logs?

Online audit logs are totally different and are configured in the HPRM/TRIM client. Disabling the offline audit log processing in TES will not affect the online audit logs.

3. What is the best practices for maintaining the audit log in serverlocaldata....

The customer should keep the offline audit logs as long as they see business value for them. It does not make too much sense to keep them on a directory on the server for too long. Why not put them back into HPRM/TRIM as document records ?

• Hi Jason,

thank you for your prompt reply.

1. i'm a bit confused here as there are two folders here. 1 is in ServerData and 1 ServerLocalData. Which of this related to the record which we enable in Audit tab in Record r Type(online audit log)?

2. your answer: 

"If you disable the processing of audit logs then no more files will be generated but the existing ones will not change. These are text files, they don't read anything from the database once written."

--> i dont get it this one.. is it disabled TES will not produce the audit log in Dataset>Utilities>Audit Log Viewer???which located in ServerData folder?? is it?

3. so, is there a way to stop the written of audit log in ServerLocalData folder?

Thank you. 

• The online audit log is written to the database directoy, there is no interaction with Serverdata or ServerLocalData.

The offline audit log is written to ServerData by default.

The utility AuditLogViewer is just a standalone utility which opens the audit log text files in a more readable format. It can read the files from any location. And you can read the files using other text viewers or MS Excel.

I would still allow the audit log files to be created in ServerData. Some customers write a script to move the files off the server to backup on a schedule task or you can use the option in later versions to "Automatically catalog offline audit log files into HP Records Manager" in the audit log options page, general tab.

• Hi Jason..

Last question,

how do I disabled the writing logs in ..ServerLocalData...

Thank you. 

• Hi Jason..

Last question,

how do I disabled the writing logs in ..ServerLocalData...

Thank you. 

• can we change the path for ServerLocalData instead of C...??

anyone?? 

pls..