Satellite Server move question - ZENworks 2020.2

Hello All. I rolled out 2 successful satellite servers this year, however, one of my techs is moving to a new office, and wants his satellite server at his new office of course. So here is my question, since I am new to the satellite servers and the process, what do I have to do to move the server now? It will be on a new IP address range at the new site. The server is of course fully viewable and routable by the Master ZENworks server on the new IP range subnet at the new site once we have it there. I guess what I am wondering is, what is the right way to go about moving the satellite server since it will be at a new site on a new IP?  Do I mark it NOT as a satellite server now, then move the device, and mark it as a satellite server again?  Or is there a better process? Thank you for all your answers in advance.

• Okay, so I removed the imaging role, This was the only role on it, so it was automatically demoted from a satellite server to a Managed device. I made sure all replicated Imaging files were gone, they were. I removed the device from AD and from ZENworks. I then had the tech move the device (This is in process as we speak).  Once the device is at the site with the New IP, I will re-add to AD and ZEnworks as a managed device. I will then re-promote it to be a satellite imaging server. That should do the trick. Is this how other people would do it?

• Verified Answer

I would....Power Down the Sat Server.  Move it and Plug it in and turn it on.

If you were using it for "Content", "Authentication" or other roles.....You need to fix location rules so folks at the old location no longer use it.

But in that case....you would likely never move it in the first place.  You would just set up a new one if needed at a new location because the others would still need it.

--

If you "MOVE" the imaging server, how will you re-image all the devices at the old location?  I guess it is just some box he had near him to make "ZMG" images and all imaging was likely done via another server.  In such a case....Just Power Off...Move...Power On. 

If it was "REALLY" an imaging server used....you would not move it .  You would setup another in a new location....since clearly it would still be needed to reimage devices in the old location.  The fact it was not really used for imaging....means that the switches and routers were not configured with ProxyDHCP relay settings...so nothing to do there....If your switches and routers were configured to relay stuff there.....undo that and update with the new data.

--

If you found this post useful, give it a “Like” or click on "Verify Answer" under the "More" button

Be sure to "Like" My (and a few others) Cool Solutions below! 

https://community.microfocus.com/members/craigdwilson/bookmarks

• I see, I could have just powered it off, changed IP, and moved it...Or well. I'll just re-add the imaging server role, once it's on the new site. Thanks for the input. I know for next time. ProxyDHCP service is running, relay DHCP is set up. And it was used for imaging MANY devices at the site, he wouldn't make images, just pushed our Centralized Image. We only image from 3 Key locations, hence the need to move it. We then distribute the imaged machines out from there. Works well for us. We connect them to AD and ZEN as managed devices, once they are on-site. We can also re-image from a key for one-offs, using WinPE and ZEN at non-satellite sites. Okay, I know for next time. This will work for this time.

• So if you move the Sat Server....Then you need to figure out how all the devices at the old location will image since the Imaging Server will not longer be where your Routers/Switches are sending the packages....Unless they are going back to your Primary.  Or update your Swtich/Router Rules to point to the new location.

With the Sat just used by him to make the images he uploaded to the primary.

--

If you found this post useful, give it a “Like” or click on "Verify Answer" under the "More" button

Be sure to "Like" My (and a few others) Cool Solutions below! 

https://community.microfocus.com/members/craigdwilson/bookmarks

• Hi Craig, my more convoluted plan worked. However, I will use your route in the future. Thanks for all the advice.