This article is part one in a series on the monitoring content for Micro Focus Operations Bridge. This series will help you understand how Operations Bridge assists you in managing your IT landscape by monitoring key industry technologies and applications.
In today’s technological world, new applications and technologies are emerging daily. More complex, more dynamic and more distributed – the changing IT landscape requires the monitoring that matches the agility of modern IT environments. Issues with the performance of business-critical applications can dramatically affect businesses, cause revenue loss, customer dissatisfaction and a decline in employee productivity.
To address the challenges of ever-expanding technology, we are committed to helping our customers achieve maximum operational efficiency by providing the ability to monitor a vast set of applications, infrastructure and domains. We are proud to offer the broadest technology coverage by building content which can address a diverse group ranging from legacy to next-generation technologies, such as cloud and container monitoring. We offer more than 200 integrations with the industry-leading products and enterprise solutions that allow customers to leverage their existing IT tools and exposure.
Operations Bridge integrations provide deep insights, enabling you to collect performance-critical data from cloud infrastructures, containers, databases, applications, middleware, third-party monitoring tools, etc. and consolidate this data into a single console. The collected data allows you to manage the performance of the monitored domain and remediate performance issues before they become bottlenecks to your business. Operations Bridge Integrations are built using domain-specific Management Packs, SiteScope solution templates, Operations Connectors and specific cross-domain processes.
So how do we achieve bringing together diverse domains, detecting changes in the monitored infrastructure, dynamically updating topology and automatically enabling monitoring for the newly discovered components, all in a single pane of glass? We do it by providing you with a set of Management Packs that extend monitoring capabilities of Operations Bridge and offer a consolidated view of your entire IT environment – from infrastructure monitoring to applications. Used on top of Operations Bridge Manager (OBM), Management Packs enable you to monitor, correlate and troubleshoot the resources from various applications and infrastructure elements. Management Packs enrich Operations Bridge by adding predefined correlation rules, specific to the IT domain they monitor, and increase the productivity by optimizing and automating monitoring tasks as well as providing the ability to analyze the collected data and orchestrate processes.
The content that is part of a Management Pack, can include, for example:
- Management Templates (a group of aspects) and aspects (a group of policies) that enable you to monitor the availability, health, and performance of individual systems, clusters, and virtual nodes
- Run-time Service Model (RTSM) views
- Performance dashboards containing out-of-the-box graphs to track and analyze the performance trends based on the collected metrics
- Auto remediation flows
- Health Indicators (HIs), Event Type Indicators (ETIs), and Topology-Based Event Correlation (TBEC) rules that analyze the events and report the health status of the systems
Management Packs are offered in Premium, Standard, Community and Partner categories:
- Standard Management Packs are supported via Micro Focus Software Support and are available to Micro Focus customers with a current maintenance contract. Among standard Management Packs, you will find our cloud Management Packs for AWS, Azure and Google Cloud, Management Pack for Docker, Management Pack for Apache Web Server and others.
- Premium Management Packs are supported via Micro Focus Software Support and are provided for an additional fee. These include most of Microsoft applications (Skype for Business, Active Directory, Exchange Server, etc.), some database Management Packs (Informix and Oracle Database), Management Pack for SAP, Hadoop and other.
- Community Management Packs are provided by Micro Focus, but supported by the community rather than Micro Focus Software Support. These mostly cover the database domain (MongoDB, PostgreSQL, Cassandra), middleware (Apache Tomcat, Glassfish), generic Management Packs (.NET, OpenSSH, FTP Server, …) and many others.
- Partner Management Packs are provided and supported by Micro Focus Software partners that may offer content as trial, demo, or free versions, as well as their own premium or fee-based offerings, for example a Management Pack for DB2.
Additionally, you can build custom monitoring according to your business needs by using the Management Pack Development Kit or by creating your own OBM policy templates and aspects.
Management Packs are designed to collect metrics using vendor-supported interfaces. They automatically detect changes in your monitoring environment and refresh respective topology maps in the OBM console, thus providing you with up-to-date relationships between various IT domain-specific resources. This allows rapid identification and root-cause analysis of bottlenecks in your environment. Management Packs help you ensure that no new IT resource or service is left without monitoring by providing discovery and monitoring policies specific to each domain.
Management Pack Domains
Management Packs are available for the following domains:
- Container Technology
- Big Data
- MS Applications
- Load Balancers
- Application Platform and Automation
For more details, refer to the Operations Bridge Technology Integrations eBook, which gives you an overview of the Operations Bridge integration landscape of more than 200 tools, technologies, and applications!
Management Packs are available for download from the ITOM Marketplace or are shipped with OBM. This documentation topic on the Micro Focus Documentation Portal provides the Management Pack overview, as well as links to the ITOM Marketplace and the Management Pack-specific documentation.
Operations Connectors allow you to immensely expand your visibility across your IT infrastructure by integrating with popular 3rd-party domain management software. Operations Connectors enable you to collect data, such as events, metrics, topology and generic output data, from third-party management software into OBM. So how do we make this possible? Operations Connector uses policies to access data sources: if the data matches the conditions defined in the policies, it is forwarded in the form of events or metrics to OBM. Policies can also report topology data in order to create CIs and CI relationships in the Run-Time Service Model (RTSM). The collected events are displayed in the OBM Event Browser; the metrics are stored in the Operations Agent database of the Operations Connector and are later used to plot graphs using the Performance Dashboard.
You can use pre-built integrations available for Operations Connector, or, alternately, develop custom integrations that suit the needs of your business. Out-of-the box Operations Connectors include (but are not limited to) Microsoft Systems Center Operations Manager, Oracle Enterprise Manager, Microsoft SCOM, Nagios, Splunk, ServiceNow, IBM Tivoli, etc. These can be downloaded directly from the ITOM Marketplace.
To develop an Operations Connector integration from scratch, you can use the Operations Connector Software Development Kit that helps you simplify the process of building and validating a custom integration.
Note that depending on the third-party data source and the type of data you wish to collect, you can either choose a remote integration (Operations Connector is installed on any system in your environment, direct installation on the third-party system is not required) or a local integration, where Operations Connector is installed directly on the third-party system you are monitoring.
An overview of out-of-the-box Operations Connector integrations and the links to the ITOM Marketplace are provided in this documentation topic on the Micro Focus Software Documentation Portal. You can also review the complete Operations Connector documentation. A complete list of connectors is provided in the Operations Bridge Technology Integrations eBook.
Monitoring Content with SiteScope
Micro Focus SiteScope offers agentless monitoring of various application domains using solution templates that feature built-in domain expertise in the form of specialized monitors, default metrics and thresholds, and best practices for a monitored application or a component. Monitored domains include, for example:
- Microsoft applications
- Databases (Oracle, Postgres, Vertica and other)
- Big data
A complete list of solution templates is available here.
In future posts, we will focus on several individual monitoring domains to provide you with a complete picture. The second topic in the series will talk about hybrid cloud monitoring with Operations Bridge. Please stay tuned to our upcoming blog posts!
We encourage you to try out our new features and enhancements! For further information on our offerings, visit the Operations Bridge product page, explore our documentation resources and check out our videos and blogs.
If you have feedback or suggestions, don’t hesitate to comment on this article.
Explore full capabilities of Operations Bridge by taking a look at these pages on our Practitioner Portal: Operations Bridge Manager, SiteScope, Operations Connector (OpsCx), Operations Bridge Analytics, Application Performance Management (APM), Business Process Monitor (BPM), Real User Monitor (RUM), Operations Bridge Reporter (OBR) and Operations Orchestration (OO) documentation!
Registration link: https://www.microfocus.com/en-us/events/microfocus-universe-2020/overview.
To get more information on this release and how customers are using Operations Bridge, we are happy to announce the following events:
- On-demand - Vivit Virtual Customer Days – ITOM
- On-demand - AIOps Summit
- On-demand - What’s New in Operations Bridge Cloud Monitoring
- On-demand - What’s new in Operations Bridge 2019.08
- On-demand - The AIOps Story: Bringing It All Together with Micro Focus Operations Bridge
See all the Micro Focus events worldwide.
Read all our news at the Operations Bridge blog.