Driver discovery always fails the " SNMP GET 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.2.0 " using SNMP V3

Sorry for my ignorance.

 

running HP Network Automation 9.22 64-bit (Build 7335-052813) on Linux.

 

All attempts to discover drivers using SNMP V3 fail.  The task finally succeeds using SSH but I have not been ble to get SNMP V3 working.  The error =

 

SNMP Gather SysOID state

Connect SNMP to 10.3.245.123 [in realm Default Realm] with Task-specific password, overriding enable password  (Password rule emlab)
Connect - SNMP trying read-only community string.
SNMP GET 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.2.0 - error: Request timed out. (possibly incorrect community string)
Connect SNMP to 10.3.245.123 [in realm Default Realm] with Task-specific password  (Password rule emlab)
Connect - SNMP trying read-only community string.
SNMP GET 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.2.0 - error: Request timed out. (possibly incorrect community string)

SNMP Error state


Failure during SNMP discovery: Request timed out. (possibly incorrect community string)

SNMP Exit state

 

my password rule and when I override only use V3.  The message notes community string, leading me to think version 2.  I have verified the SNMP V3 credentials including username and keys...

 

 

any thoughts

 

Tags:

  • additional information:

     

    This is a recent install and the devices originally were integrated from NNMi.

    It occurs with different vendor platforms ( Cisco/Juniper )

    Devices can be successfully polled by NNMi.

    I have looked at the obvious issues so far: ( device misconfiguration, ACLs, Firewalls, typos )

    I have deleted and readded devices.

    I have tried rebuilding password rules,  using the override option in the driver discovery task ...etc

     

    This happens on more than one HPNA server and the only thing they have in common is me.

    is there any configuration in HPNA that I may have inadvertantly changed that could cause this.

  • Hi;

     

    Not every driver supports SNMPV3 for discovery, although most now do. 

     

    So we probably need to do some analysis.  This may require opening a case.  But first, let's get some logging;

     

    We probably should pick a specific device that is failing discovery.  Keep in mind that the SNMPv3 username and passwords must be filled out in the edit device page, if you are using device specific access or in the password if you are using Global Password rules.

     

    Se need the following

    Driver name and driver version for this device

    Device name and model

    Device IOS version.

    Connections methods used and whether or not password rules are used for this device.

     

    Set the following logs before running the discovery;

    • Device/Driver/ParseXML/Discovery
    •  Device/Driver/Discovery
    •  Device/Session/SNMP
    • Device/Session/Log

    When you run the Discover Driver task, check both "Store complete session log" (in the Task Options section)  and  "Store log output generated by this task" in the Task Logging section.

    In the task logging section, use the ctrl key and highlight the following fieldsp;

    • Device/Driver/ParseXML/Discovery
    •  Device/Driver/Discovery
    •  Device/Session/SNMP
    • Device/Session/Log

    This will allow you to have two views into the Discover Driver task results.

     

    Be sure to also uncheck "Only if No Driver is set" in the Task Options sections.  This will force the driver discovery, even if there is currently a driver selected.

     

    When you click on "Save", take note of the TaskID.  You'll need it later. 

    You can find this in the browser address bar.  Look for "TaskID=" and it will be the numbers directly after that.   IE:  task.view.htm?taskID=243421

     

    Once that is done, click on menu -> admin -> troubleshooting, then click on "Download Troubleshooting Information" in the upper right of the page.    On the page that displays, checkmark wrapper.logs and select 4 historical files.  Select Administrative settings and the task log at the bottom of the page.  It should contain the taskID that you wrote down. 

     

    Then you can attach it to here.. 

     

     

     

     

  • Verified Answer

    Your tips helped!

     

    Turned out to be the fact that the devices were inported with the connect method set to SNMP V1.

     

    Once I set it to V3, it worked.

     

    I have a lot to learn!!!!!

     

    Thanks!!!