Advanced script or multiple change-plans?

Hey all

I was wondering how everybody else is handling the rollout of change plans. I see in general two approaches:

a) Define a dynamic device-groups within NA and run "simple" changes with only commands

b) Define a advanced script and have one change plan for all devices

In my current "to-do" I want to setup DNS in the context of the management-VRF. Now this management VRF can be different across the network so I have the option to either: dynamically get the management vrf from something I know is working and push the config in there or I create some dynamic groups within NA grouped by VRF and then just run a simple command.

While I prefer the dynamic script and started going down this road, this would probably lead to a rather complicated setup. Meaning we need other general Info from the device as well, so I would probably write a Perl module to handle some general things like gathering "basic" device-info. But then to load this dynamically based on Device-Type I would have some logic there as well... In the end I'll probably end up with a rather extensive setup.

On the one hand the option "A" is rather easy to handle for all the operators, but option "B" is just cleaner and in my view a lot more "future-proofed" to rollout other things as well...

• Suggested Answer

Hi,

I would probably go with the dynamic groups option, let NA handle at least that part of the work, while the advanced script can be more flexible and powerful it sounds like it could take a good bit of work and testing to get exactly what you want plus, maintenance of the script(s) may be limited with those advanced scripting skills while the basic change plans may be more manageable for less knowledgeable users. Also advanced scripts can still be implemented with the use of dynamic groups if necessary.

This of course may vary from enterprise to enterprise depending on the skills of their team and how dynamic or static their network may be.