Outlook service or process monitoring in sitescope

Hi All,

I want to monitor outlook services or process in Sitescope, to check whether outlook is open or not.

Or to check whether outlook is running which is one and the same.

Kindly help for which monitor will be required and what all parameters are required to monitor it?

Thanks.

Parents
  • Hi abhishek10,

at first you need to clarify for yourself what exactly you like to monitor.

> I want to monitor outlook services
    Outlook Services is (I guess) something which runs on the server, so you might need to use the
    Microsoft Windows Services State Monitor
    or the
    Services Monitor

> or process in Sitescope, to check whether outlook is open or not.
    > Or to check whether outlook is running which is one and the same.
    When I open Outlook on my laptop, I have a process "outlook.exe" running,
    so to monitor this one you might need to use the
    Services Monitor
    or the
    Microsoft Windows Resources Monitor

As soon as you know what you like or need to monitor, you can proceed from there.

Greetings
    Siggi

• Hi Siggi,

I am able to monitor the outlook process whether it is running or not.

But i also need to monitor whether outlook is connected or not. Like if outlook is open then process is running but it might be the condition that it is not connectted to internet.

Please suggest.

• Hi abhishek10,

this is more an Outlook then a SiteScope question.

Like I said before:

if you know what you wanna measure, you usually can measure it.

If you can find out what Outlook does when it has a connection open to the server, you might be able to monitor it.
    But HOW this is done in Outlook is far beyond SiteScope and its monitors, you might wanna check
    with Mircosoft Outlook support or research the Internet.
    If ends up being a port open only if Outlook is connected, you can use a Port monitor.

Greetings
    Siggi

• Hi Siggi,

How to telnet port that outlook uses for connection on remote server?

That remote is being monitored on sitescope server, from sitescope server can we check the outlook port connectivity of that remote server?

Pls Suggest.

• Hi abhishek10,

my answer was based on the assumption that you run Outlook on the system you monitor with SiteScope (which would be quite unusual, but ...).

To get this done
    That remote is being monitored on sitescope server, from sitescope server can we check the outlook port connectivity of that remote server?

you might wanna look at the script monitor:

Chapter 89: Script Monitor
    Script Monitor Overview
    The Script monitor can be used to run shell commands or other scripts on the machine where SiteScope is
    running or it can run a script that is stored on a remote machine.
    One of the primary reasons for using the Script monitor is to integrate into SiteScope an existing script that
    you use to do a particular system management function. For example, if you have a script that runs a
    diagnostic on an application and returns a 0 reading if everything is working, you could create a Script monitor
    that runs this script and recognizes any exit value other than 0 as an error. Then you could create an alert
    which would email or page you if this monitor was in error.

You would need to create a script which checks what you wanna check, and return a proper output.
    The script would be executed by SiteScope on the remote server, and thus can pick up the return value and interpret it.

Greetings
    Siggi

• Hi abhishek10,

my answer was based on the assumption that you run Outlook on the system you monitor with SiteScope (which would be quite unusual, but ...).

To get this done

you might wanna look at the script monitor:

Chapter 89: Script Monitor
    Script Monitor Overview
    The Script monitor can be used to run shell commands or other scripts on the machine where SiteScope is
    running or it can run a script that is stored on a remote machine.
    One of the primary reasons for using the Script monitor is to integrate into SiteScope an existing script that
    you use to do a particular system management function. For example, if you have a script that runs a
    diagnostic on an application and returns a 0 reading if everything is working, you could create a Script monitor
    that runs this script and recognizes any exit value other than 0 as an error. Then you could create an alert
    which would email or page you if this monitor was in error.

You would need to create a script which checks what you wanna check, and return a proper output.
    The script would be executed by SiteScope on the remote server, and thus can pick up the return value and interpret it.

Greetings
    Siggi

Children
No Data