Monitoring Jboss with Sitescope

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can share their knowledge. I am trying to setup JMX monitoring for JBoss on Sitescope. We are running the Standalone version of JBoss on AIX. The authentication flag -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate is currently set to "true". I have been provided that password from the jmxremote.password file but I am not sure which username to use while setting up on Sitescope. I am using the JMX monitor.

Also, do I need to add any additional classpaths?

Any help on this is appreciated.

Thanks.

Parents
  • Verified Answer

Hi niravu,

check out the SiteScope manual Monitor Reference which fits to your SiteScope version, and there (this is from SiS 11.32)
    Chapter 29: Dynamic JMX Monitor

Supported Platforms/Versions
    This monitor supports monitoring on:
    - JBoss servers 4.0.3, 4.2, 5.0, 5.1, 6.0, 6.1, 7.0, 7.1.x

and then

JBoss 4.0.3 supports JSR 160, by defining the following properties to the JVM on startup:
    -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
    -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=9999
    -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false
    -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false
    -Djboss.platform.mbeanserver
    -Djavax.management.builder.initial=org.jboss.system.server.jmx.MBeanServerBuilderImpl

JBoss 6.1 supports JSR 160, by defining the following properties to the JVM on startup:
    -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
    -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=9999
    -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false
    -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false
    -Djboss.platform.mbeanserver
    -Djavax.management.builder.initial=org.jboss.system.server.jmx.MBeanServerBuilderImpl
    -Djava.endorsed.dirs="%JBOSS_ENDORSED_DIRS%"
    -classpath "%JBOSS_CLASSPATH%" org.jboss.Main %*

Other vendors that have released versions of their software that are JSR 160 compliant, include JBoss,
    Oracle 10g, and IBM WebSphere.
    You can find more information about JSR 160 on the Java Community Process Web site
    (http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=160).

and
    How to create a Dynamic JMX Monitor for JBoss 7.1, JBoss EAP 6.1.x - 6.2.x, or WildFly 8.0.0

Note: To get counters from a JBoss 7.1.x, JBoss EAP 6.1.x - 6.2.x, or WildFly 8.0.0 server, you must:
    1. Add the following jars to classpath:
    l jboss-common-core.jar
    l jboss-client.jar
    2. Select the Load additional classpath first check box.

As you can see, all depends on the version of JBoss you plan to monitor.

Greetings
    Siggi

• Thanks a lot Siggi. Just one more question - where do I need to copy the jar files for additional class paths? Is it under some specific Siescope installation directory or I can set it to any directory and just mention the full path?

I'll try out the ste-by-step from documentation tomorrow and will share the outcome.

Thanks.

• Hi niravu,

the path you select shouldn't matter, as you tell SiteScope what classpath to use for the files,
    and then select the check box
    "Load additional classpath first"

It might be good practice to place them into <SiteScope root directory>\WEB-INF\lib\ subdirectory,
    as we do with the database libraries when using the database monitors,
    or into <SiteScope root directory>\templates.applications\lib

Greetings
    Siggi

• Hi niravu,

the path you select shouldn't matter, as you tell SiteScope what classpath to use for the files,
    and then select the check box
    "Load additional classpath first"

It might be good practice to place them into <SiteScope root directory>\WEB-INF\lib\ subdirectory,
    as we do with the database libraries when using the database monitors,
    or into <SiteScope root directory>\templates.applications\lib

Greetings
    Siggi

Children
No Data