Erronr when monitoring Log file from shared directory - SiS 10.14

Hi,

I'm trying ot monitor a logfile in a shared directry, this is the path:

\\netapp-megalab\HomeDir\global\Protein2PatLab\proteinnew\Protein.log

The server is a linux/unix server so I can't connect to it using remote desktop, but It is possible to access it's windows RPC.

The error I receieve is: "unable to read log file"

When connecting to the windows sitescope server (sitescope-prd), there is no problem accessing the log file

See attached file

Regards,

Omri

• did you check that the user running sitescope has the proper permissions to access the file?

this is usually a permission problem - when you access the file manually you are using your access rights vs whatever sitescope service is running with (or remote server access permission)

• Hello,

Does the monitor times out ? Please check it in the logs. If required, please do append the below lines in the master.config and share the log_monitor.log, error.log and runmonitor.log for further checks.

###################################################################################
    # Log monitor
    ###################################################################################

log4j.category.com.mercury.sitescope.monitors.log=DEBUG, log.appender
    log4j.additivity.com.mercury.sitescope.monitors.log=false
    log4j.category.com.mercury.sitescope.util=DEBUG, log.appender
    log4j.category.com.mercury.sitescope.util=false

log4j.appender.log.appender=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
    log4j.appender.log.appender.File=../${log.file.path}/log_monitor.log
    log4j.appender.log.appender.MaxFileSize=${def.file.max.size}
    log4j.appender.log.appender.MaxBackupIndex=${def.files.backup.count}
    log4j.appender.log.appender.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
    log4j.appender.log.appender.layout.ConversionPattern=%d [%t] (%F:%L) %-5p - %m%n

Regards,

Abhijeet Patre

• I verified that issue, the sitescope service runs with domain admin user..
  • Verified Answer

The support engineer helped me solve this issue.

The solution was:

Pre-requisite - Check the user's shell that is trying to access the log. This issues is caused by using any the following shells:
    /bin/sh (Linux Only)
    /bin/ksh

/bin/bash

/bin/zsh
    In order to check which shell is in use you can execute this command: echo $SHELL
    Change the remote user shell to csh, tcsh or, sh (non-Linux only).

If that does not fix the issue, take the following steps:
    1. Edit the Sitescope\templates.os\*.config file in SiteScope. Each remote OS has a corresponding config file - sun.config, linux.config, AIX.config, etc.
    2. Look for the fileExists entry:
    id=fileExists
    3. Change the command issued to:
    command=echo 0; echo 0
    4. Save the file and restart SiteScope.
    The reason for doing this is that SiteScope has a 2 step process for reading log files. The first step is to check to see if the file exists at all. The second step is to actually attempt to read the file in to memory. The "file check" step is the most likely to generate a false error due to varying environmental and shell variables on different Unix/Linux installs. So the steps described above merely circumvent the "file check" step and cause SiteScope to immediately attempt to read the file in to memory.
  • The file exists test is executed in order to enhance performance. Circumventing it is not advisable.

It is better to find the right syntax on your specific OS edition to perform a file exists test.

Thanks,

Eitan

• Attempting to do the same.  Is there a os template that is available, to connect via remote server?  I am not familiar with the limited command structure for NetApps.