Critical event in BSM without monitor status change in SiteScope

Hi all,

We run SiS 11.24, integrated with BSM 9.23. OS is Win Server 2008 R2.

Recently I've seen some false events in BSM, typically from service monitors for RHEL OS.

What happens is that SiS fails in gathering status on a monitor, and the log file says "unavailable error(unable to connect to server)". This happens typically after SiS is restarted and is probably due to heavy load the first 30-50 minutes after startup of SiS.

This post is not about why the monitors are unavailable, but why SiS sends events to OMi.

The service monitors in question is set up to alert personnel that administer RHEL OS servers, and I do not want them to have events on SiS failing to run monitors. Therefore I've set "If unavailable=Set monitor status to good".

This seems to work fine for the monitor, when I check 'RunMonitor.log' it has some entries for 'Unavaliable error' with status 'good'.

But in 'HPSiteScopeOperationsManagerIntegration.log' for the same poll I find an entry saying 'Critical'.

The monitor never changes status and no alert is sent. But an event to OMi is sent.

The monitor is set to use 'Metrics' for "BSM Service Health Preferences". I use calculated metrics in calculating status of the monitor.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Tags:

Parents
  • Hello, You get the ''false events'' due to monitor change the status. SiS sends the information to OMi because if the monitor was in ''good'' status and then you get the error ''unable to connect to server'', it sends the event due to monitor was unable to connect the target server when it ran. SiS sends the information to the 'HPSiteScopeOperationsManagerIntegration.log' and the events are sent to BMS side with that information. Regards

• Hello, You get the ''false events'' due to monitor change the status. SiS sends the information to OMi because if the monitor was in ''good'' status and then you get the error ''unable to connect to server'', it sends the event due to monitor was unable to connect the target server when it ran. SiS sends the information to the 'HPSiteScopeOperationsManagerIntegration.log' and the events are sent to BMS side with that information. Regards

Children
No Data