X-packages on BSM RHEL servers

Hi Team

We are using RHEL for BSM servers .  X-Packages are used for the graphical interface and for DB wizard , start stop service we are using the same.

Can X-packages be uninstall and we see all the functionality without any impact ?

Regards

Parents
  • Hi Parkar,

the BSM 9.26 installation manual states

The DISPLAY environment variable must be properly configured on the BSM server machine.
    The machine from which you are installing must be running an X-Server unless you are installing BSM in silent mode

but shows these requirements:
    Installation Prerequisites - Linux
    Before installing BSM 9.26 on Oracle Linux (OEL) or Red Hat Enterprise Linux operating systems
    for supported 6.x versions and 7.x versions, you must install the following RPM packages on all
    machines running BSM:
    - libX11

I assume (cannot tell for sure) that you can uninstall X11 without harming BSM's overall functionality,
    but you then cannot run any graphical interface on that server.

But as it's a listed requirements ("you must install ..."), from the support point of view you shouldn't uninstall X from the BSM servers.

Greetings
    Siggi

• Hi Parkar,

the BSM 9.26 installation manual states

The DISPLAY environment variable must be properly configured on the BSM server machine.
    The machine from which you are installing must be running an X-Server unless you are installing BSM in silent mode

but shows these requirements:
    Installation Prerequisites - Linux
    Before installing BSM 9.26 on Oracle Linux (OEL) or Red Hat Enterprise Linux operating systems
    for supported 6.x versions and 7.x versions, you must install the following RPM packages on all
    machines running BSM:
    - libX11

I assume (cannot tell for sure) that you can uninstall X11 without harming BSM's overall functionality,
    but you then cannot run any graphical interface on that server.

But as it's a listed requirements ("you must install ..."), from the support point of view you shouldn't uninstall X from the BSM servers.

Greetings
    Siggi

Children
  • I have gone through documentation however as per security x-package should be removed from server

Any workaround replacement for x-package ?

Also if x-package not present , can any one suggest how we run DB connection wizard ?? How silent method will help here ?

• Hi Parkar,

as per security x-package should be removed from server
    Any workaround replacement for x-package ?

this is more a question for Linux OS guy than for BSM support.
    From the BSM support point of view the X package is a requirement.
    if you have time to play, of course you can create a full backup of your BSM environment, use rpminstall to remove X11, and then start BSM and check if it still works as expected, but ...

I found one service request stating:
    The X-Server is required for the installation\configuration phase only.
    This is a common requirement when installing enterprise products, so our prerequisite is not unusual.

There are 3 common ways to install\configure products.
    Via UI – the way we do it in BSM
    Via console (aka ‘interactive mode’) where the user is present during the process and feeds his choices via keyboard
    Silently – the user prepares a response file listing his choices in advance, usually based on an elaborate template provided with the installer. The user launches the installation and does not have to be present in the process.
    Only the first way required X-Server.

Also if x-package not present , can any one suggest how we run DB connection wizard ?? How silent method will help here ?
    You can execute the complete Configuration Wizard without any screen interaction by setting up a response file,
    or simply using one created by BSM during the last Configuration Wizard execution, it it stored under
    <HPBSM>\temp\rsp<datetime>.xml
    for example
    rsp201611121212.xml

then execute
     <HPBSM>\bin\silentConfigureBSM.bat|.sh <HPBSM>\temp\rsp201611121212.xml configserver
    and all will happen in the background.

I usually use this for the "and then run the configuration wizard" routine.

BTW, to install BSM without an X server running you need to add "-i console" to the execution of the installer, for example

[root@sov02bac14 BSM_9.26]# ./HPBsm926IP371_9.26_setup.bin -i console
    Preparing to install...
    Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...
    Unpacking the JRE...
    Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
    Configuring the installer for this system's environment...

Launching installer...

===============================================================================
    Choose Locale...
    ----------------

1- Deutsch
      ->2- English
        3- Espa?ol
        4- Fran?ais
        5- Italiano
        6- Nederlands
        7- Portugu?s  (Brasil)

CHOOSE LOCALE BY NUMBER:

Greetings
    Siggi

• What are the packages required in order to see GUI

As per documentation , below already present on the server

libXext
    libXtst
    libXau
    libXrender
    libxcb
    libX11

Pl suggest !

• For silent installation of running DB wizard ,  do i need to create individual schema and response time file because when we connect to xml it executes magangement DB wizard only sucessfully.

Regards

• Hi parkar,

you would need a different set of files per machine type (GW / DPS), as the flow is different.
    But as laready mentioned, when you install BSM, it creates a response file for you, and you can easily use and update this to satisfy your needs.
    I never would create such a file from srcatch, but would leave it to BSM to create the file and use it as template.

BTW, it would be helpful to have individual threads for individual issues.
    Replying to two or more different topics within the same thread makes it really hard to follow for another reader..

Greetings
    Siggi

• Hi parkar,

this is hard or impossible to say without an indepth code review, that's why the documentation states what all is needed.

Greetings
    Siggi