Closing events not changing CI Status

Hello,

Having event-driven monitoring (coming from different sources) I have hit upon an issue:

Note: Configuration is as follows:

Events are mapped via ETI Mappings rules into Health Indicators, which then feed KPIs.

If an event is manually closed (hitting the "close event button on the UI), the even'ts corresponding HI does not revert back to its default status (good). It remains at the severity of the event, even though now there is no event to feed it its status.

Add to that some Time-Based event automation (closing all events older than 7 days), and I get a LOT of "phantom" statuses - CIs which are in critical condition and with no associated event.
THis makes all the services trees permenantly red, making it completely useless...

The events that do this are usually SNMP Traps, that do not send corresponding "all clear" events.

How to get around this? I need HIs to revert back to their default statuses when the events are gone... This way it makes no sense whatsoever...

Parents
  • if you are manually closing events, and you want to reset the HI, then why arent you using "Close and reset HI" action?

it is available via right-click and not as button in the Event Browser.

• Yes, and you try explaining to a customer why he can't use the convenient button, but must do a right-mouse button, find popup menu option then click that...

Regardless, how about the time-based event automation?

And I'm trying to figure out what would happen in this scenario:
    CI receives a Minor Event.
    Then a Major event.

Then a critical event.

Critical event is closed by time-based event automation (or manually by operator).

Now what? HI/KPI Status is Critical, Major or Good?

• there is already open ER for having "close and reset HI" available as a button and not just context menu.

as for your 2nd question: if you are closing the Event manually and not from another "clear" event (and for that matter, manually or using TBEA is the same), then you need to take care of how to clear the HI.

try instead of closing the event to trigger a "clear" event. for the TBEA you will need to combine it with something else (maybe even EPI script) to trigger a new event.

• there is already open ER for having "close and reset HI" available as a button and not just context menu.

as for your 2nd question: if you are closing the Event manually and not from another "clear" event (and for that matter, manually or using TBEA is the same), then you need to take care of how to clear the HI.

try instead of closing the event to trigger a "clear" event. for the TBEA you will need to combine it with something else (maybe even EPI script) to trigger a new event.

• Well, I tried creating an EPI script to generate a new event with the severity and ETI set as "OK".

Actually, I just tried creating a script to generate a new event at first - and failed.

I cannot create an event in the script (Class Event is abstract, cant be instanced):

Event newEvent = new Event(); 
    script14380777164891596112151.groovy: 36: You cannot create an instance from the abstract interface 'com.hp.opr.api.scripting.Event'.

I'm at a complete loss as to how to resolve this...

And this one issue can cause the entire project to fail horribly.

• you should look at the Extensibility Guide to find how to submit events to OMi. it will be probably via the REST API (that you will need to invoke in your Groovy).

Reply Children
No Data