Hyper-V Datasource integration without SCVMM server

Hello experts,

We have a Hyper-V deployment with 4 hosts in a cluster. The customer does not have SCVMM server since they manage the VM's and hosts on the Hyper-V administrator tools available on the server administration windows on any of the 4 hosts.

Is there any other way to add the Hyper-V Datasource? (The deployment does not have a proxy server either)

Thanks in advance,

Angel

Parents
  • Verified Answer

Hello Angel,

Not having a SCVMM server is not a problem.  However, a proxy server is required to collect data for Hyper-V datasources.

There is a light-weight agent (vPVWinVirtCollector) that runs on the proxy host.  This agent is the collector that communicates and collects the data from the Hyper-V servers.  The agent then sends the data to the CO server.  The CO server itself does not run the collector for Hyper-V.  It is run on the proxy host.

You can add multiple target (Hyper-V) hosts to the configuration of the collector agent (vPVWinVirtCollector.properties) and add all four Hyper-V servers to one proxy.  The proxy can be a VM on one of the Hyper-V servers themselves.  That is how I have it configured within my environment.

Now, will it recognize them as a cluster, that part I do not know.   However, the data collection occurs every 5 minutes by default.  Any VM movement should be tracked by the data collection.

I hope that this is helpful and helps answer your questions.

Regards,

Mark

• Verified Answer

Hello Angel,

Not having a SCVMM server is not a problem.  However, a proxy server is required to collect data for Hyper-V datasources.

There is a light-weight agent (vPVWinVirtCollector) that runs on the proxy host.  This agent is the collector that communicates and collects the data from the Hyper-V servers.  The agent then sends the data to the CO server.  The CO server itself does not run the collector for Hyper-V.  It is run on the proxy host.

You can add multiple target (Hyper-V) hosts to the configuration of the collector agent (vPVWinVirtCollector.properties) and add all four Hyper-V servers to one proxy.  The proxy can be a VM on one of the Hyper-V servers themselves.  That is how I have it configured within my environment.

Now, will it recognize them as a cluster, that part I do not know.   However, the data collection occurs every 5 minutes by default.  Any VM movement should be tracked by the data collection.

I hope that this is helpful and helps answer your questions.

Regards,

Mark

Children
  • Hi Mark,

Thank you very much for your response, the VM solution seems good. Are there any minimum system requirements for the proxy server? I suppose a small VM could work well taking into account its only purpose is to run the collector right?

Thanks again,

Angel

• Hello Angel,

Unfortunately, there are no documented requirements for the lightweight collector (vPVWinVirtCollector) running on the proxy host.

My proxy server has 1 CPU with 2GB of RAM and it works fine for my one Hyper-V server.  The factors that comes into play is how many Hyper-V servers are you monitoring and how big are they?

You could try a small server and then watch how the collection works (vPVWinVirtCollector.log).  Assuming that data is collected properly, then you should be good.

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Mark

• Hello Mark,

That's great, I will try then with a small VM and see how it works.

Thank you very much for your help!

Regards,

Angel