Is there such a thing in BSM as one consolidated log file that has all valuable information?

Hi Community,

Is there such a thing in BSM as one consolidated log file that contains valuable information (it does not need to be super detailed) such as configuration settings, hardening information, installation information, database settings, deployment settings and etc?

I was wondering if there is one consolidated log that provides an overview, so that when people look at it for the first time they will know the current states immediately unlike navigating through different folders to find whatever information to retrieve.

Or is there a fast and quick method to determine all of information above? Perhaps when assessing/evaluating the state of environments, what would be the standard or best practice?

Thanks,

Parents
  • Usually,  /log/topaz_ejb_all.log is a good file to start with.

• Just to add:

starting with BSM 9.26 the file changed to
     <HPBSM>\log\jboss-as-all.log

;-)

Greetings
    Siggi

• Thanks Siggi & Rufeng for inputs,

I was wondering if there are any documents that explain what's contain in Topaz_all.ejb (or how to interpret things you see) you mentioned above.

Also, Is there a particular section/area I need to focus when finding information that I listed in the question?

Thanks in advance,

• Hi yangnigon,

> I was wondering if there are any documents that explain what's contain in Topaz_all.ejb (or how to interpret things you see) you mentioned above.
    Nope, there is no such thing, it would make support people like me un-employed.

The issue is that even the 100% perfectly fine working BSM environment will log many, many errors to the various logfiles.
    If you wanna waste your life, you can go through all the logs and try to find answers to the question
    why has this message been logged

Here are some quick checks of some of my systems:

BSM 9.25 IP1
    eleven files topaz_all.ejb.log*, 19.5 MB in size overall, roughly 18.000 times the word ERROR is found in all the files
    (on this box it's three different messages repeated over and over again)

BSM 9.26 IP1
    eleven files jboss_as-all.log*, 19.6 MB in size overall, roughly 1.500 times the word ERROR is found in all the files
    (similar pattern as above)

What I try to say:
    - look at the logs if you have an issue,
       if you can reproduce it, take a note of the time, reproduce the error, then check the logs at the time of interest
    - start with the topaz_all.ejb.log / jboss_as-all.log to get an idea of what might be wrong
    - go to the per module logfiles to dig deeper, if required enable debug logging for the suspected module

Greetings
    Siggi

• Thanks Siggi for your clarification.

Let me ask this way then. When you assess the BSM environment, is there a standard practice? (Supposed you have nothing to start with).

Another way of saying is how do you know if BSM is working properly or not? ex) Just because BSM is up and running does not gurantee that the system is working properly (there could be hardening issues, configuration issues, and etc).

I believe Solution Architects come to the client site and assess the BSM environment all the time practically (not just on paper). What process/procedure do they go through to determine that if BSM is working properly or not.

Thanks,

• Verified Answer

Hi yangnigon,

I assume that the girls and guys doing BSM Health assessments regularly in fact come with a kind of checklist.
    As I'm not doing this regularly, I don't have such a list.

However, whenever I'm at a customer site to perform an upgrade, I simply ask (if I don't know before) what functionality they use,
    and after the upgrade we check if this still works, for example
    - can we see data from BPM, SiteScope, RUM and so
    (which indicates that the agent(s), the web server(s), the GW(s), WDE, BUS and DB Loader work)
    - do reports work
    - does alarming work
    - are the SLAs working
    - do all integrations work
    and so on

Sometimes they call me and tell me what we missed, or what is not working, we then fix this afterwards.
    But I never check the logs to find out if something is working.
    I only check the logs if something is NOT working.

Greetings
    Siggi

• Verified Answer

Hi yangnigon,

I assume that the girls and guys doing BSM Health assessments regularly in fact come with a kind of checklist.
    As I'm not doing this regularly, I don't have such a list.

However, whenever I'm at a customer site to perform an upgrade, I simply ask (if I don't know before) what functionality they use,
    and after the upgrade we check if this still works, for example
    - can we see data from BPM, SiteScope, RUM and so
    (which indicates that the agent(s), the web server(s), the GW(s), WDE, BUS and DB Loader work)
    - do reports work
    - does alarming work
    - are the SLAs working
    - do all integrations work
    and so on

Sometimes they call me and tell me what we missed, or what is not working, we then fix this afterwards.
    But I never check the logs to find out if something is working.
    I only check the logs if something is NOT working.

Greetings
    Siggi

Children
No Data