BSM Architecture

I have been reading thousands of pages of BSM documentation. I am having hard time connecting dots with regards to various components, especially BSM and OMi.   Can someone please answer the following questions. 

1) Can I install BSM SiteScope NNmi in an environment with out OMi?  If I do that how does Service Health data is going to consolidate events  and show HIs and KPIs .

2) If BSM and OMi are two seperate applications, why does BSM Database Guide lists "Event" database. How does data flows with in BSM  and which application owns events? Is that "Event" datatbase actually meant for OMi and I can skip it if I don't want to install Omi. 

3) Both BSM and OMi guides talk about data collectors and BSM collectors, for example you can connect sitescope to BSM or to OMI. What is the difference between doing it one way or the other. If BSM is not doing event correlation or consolidation why would I want to collect data in BSM? 

4) I can do most of the stuff in Omi like connecting to NNmi, Sitescope, I can create dashboards etc. The only things missing are BPM/RUM. Is there a standalone BPM installation, so I can just have a monitoring solution with out BSM( Opposite of what i am asking in #1 )

Parents
  • 1. Yes, you can. Service Health doesn't care if OMi application is enabled within BSM 9.x or not (remember that in 9.x OMi is just an application running within BSM, hence it cannot be installed separately, it is always installed whether you want it or not; but it won't be working if you don't enable it and you cannot enable it if you don't have a corresponding license). Service Health will calculate HIs and KPIs based on events in the same way with or without OMi. Simply because the event channel is part of BSM platform, and as such is always available, no matter whether OMi is enabled or not.

2. BSM and OMi are 2 separate products ONLY starting with OMi 10. OMi 9.x is just a part of BSM 9.x and is not a separate application. The Event DB is required for BSM anyway, because as I already mentioned the event channel is part of BSM platform and some event processing functionality is available even if OMi itself is not enabled in BSM. Again in BSM 9.x you CANNOT install OMi (see above).

3. See attached OMi 10 FAQ. I bet it will help you clarify lots of questions you have. Do you know that besides events there is such thing as metrics? So if you want to work with metrics, e.g. process them to calculate HIs/KPIs, create SLAs on them etc. you have to have BSM. OMi 10 is not designed to do it.

4. No, BPM/RUM is not the only things that are not available in OMi 10. For example, to use SLM and/or SHA you also must use BSM. If you want to manage multiple SiteScope servers from the same place you must use BSM SAM, as OMi 10 doesn't provide this functionality. Another example of BSM-only functionality would be Diagnostics integration.

No, there is no such thing as standalone BPM. In order to use BPM you must have BSM (or use SaaS alternative called AppPulse Active). 

• 1. Yes, you can. Service Health doesn't care if OMi application is enabled within BSM 9.x or not (remember that in 9.x OMi is just an application running within BSM, hence it cannot be installed separately, it is always installed whether you want it or not; but it won't be working if you don't enable it and you cannot enable it if you don't have a corresponding license). Service Health will calculate HIs and KPIs based on events in the same way with or without OMi. Simply because the event channel is part of BSM platform, and as such is always available, no matter whether OMi is enabled or not.

2. BSM and OMi are 2 separate products ONLY starting with OMi 10. OMi 9.x is just a part of BSM 9.x and is not a separate application. The Event DB is required for BSM anyway, because as I already mentioned the event channel is part of BSM platform and some event processing functionality is available even if OMi itself is not enabled in BSM. Again in BSM 9.x you CANNOT install OMi (see above).

3. See attached OMi 10 FAQ. I bet it will help you clarify lots of questions you have. Do you know that besides events there is such thing as metrics? So if you want to work with metrics, e.g. process them to calculate HIs/KPIs, create SLAs on them etc. you have to have BSM. OMi 10 is not designed to do it.

4. No, BPM/RUM is not the only things that are not available in OMi 10. For example, to use SLM and/or SHA you also must use BSM. If you want to manage multiple SiteScope servers from the same place you must use BSM SAM, as OMi 10 doesn't provide this functionality. Another example of BSM-only functionality would be Diagnostics integration.

No, there is no such thing as standalone BPM. In order to use BPM you must have BSM (or use SaaS alternative called AppPulse Active). 

Children
  • Thanks, The FAQ document is helpful, I am working in a BSM 9.25 and OMI 10 environment.  The BSM 9.25 application administration guide talks about administring OMi from   Admin > Operations Management > .... . Is that same as doing it from OMi 10 application. I can access OMi 10 on it's own, Wondering why there is an option to administer Operations Management from BSM. 

I installed a standalone OMi 10 in an environment, so at a later point of time if I bring in BSM into picture, how do I set up connection between them? is it going to be through Connected Servers -> APM ?  and How do i the same on BSM side. 

• Verified Answer

BSM 9.25 on its own may have OMi 9.25 (if you have OMi Event Foundation license and enabled OMi in your BSM). So Admin > Operations Management in BSM 9.25 controls OMi 9.25 (which is part of BSM). Admin > Operations Management in OMi 10 apparently does the same for OMi 10 (which is a separate product).

OMi 10 Integrations guide has a dedicated set of chapters for technical details on OMi 10 - BSM 9.25 integration: 

Part II: Operations Manager i - Application Performance Manager Integration

• Verified Answer

BSM 9.25 on its own may have OMi 9.25 (if you have OMi Event Foundation license and enabled OMi in your BSM). So Admin > Operations Management in BSM 9.25 controls OMi 9.25 (which is part of BSM). Admin > Operations Management in OMi 10 apparently does the same for OMi 10 (which is a separate product).

OMi 10 Integrations guide has a dedicated set of chapters for technical details on OMi 10 - BSM 9.25 integration: 

• Verified Answer