BSM connector queries

Hi All,

We are going to integrate few third party monitoring systems with BSM/OMi 9.20.

We have installed BSM/OMi 9.20 on win2k8 and need to acheive below integrations with BSM for event management.

we need to integrate NNMi with OMi

we need to integrate SCOM with OMi

we need to integrate EMC Unisphere with OMi

I believe there is OOTB connector for NNMi and SCOM, can anyone share the links to download.

What is difference between OOTB connector and normal BSM connector.

Also what is target connector in BSM.

In order to integrate EMC Unisphere with OMi, can I directly send SNMP traps to OMi from Unisphere and view these alarms into event browser in OMi, is it possible, OR I have to use BSM connector for integration between any third party tool to BSM/OMi.

Parents
  • >>>I believe there is OOTB connector for NNMi and SCOM, can anyone share the links to download.

There is no a separate integration package for NNMi that can be downloaded. Integration functionality is provided OOB with the products themselves (BSM and NNMi). Simply read standard BSM and NNMi documentation on how to configure such integration.

As for SCOM, there is a separate integration package that can be downloaded from HPLN - https://hpln.hp.com/group/bsm-connector-scom

>>>What is difference between OOTB connector and normal BSM connector.

You are comparing apples to oranges. What you call "OOTB connector" is nothing but an integration package with pre-built content specific to the product being integrated, e.d. SCOM. Such integration package must be installed on BSM Connector that acts as a generic integration engine between BSM and any 3rd party systems.

>>>Also what is target connector in BSM.

It's a type of licenses (Target Connector licences) required to integrate 3rd party products into BSM.

>>>In order to integrate EMC Unisphere with OMi, can I directly send SNMP traps to OMi from Unisphere and view these alarms into event browser in OMi, is it possible, OR I have to use BSM connector for integration between any third party tool to BSM/OMi.

You must use BSM Connector.

• Thank you so much Dmitry..this has cleared so many doubts..but still I would like to know few things..

Okay that means NNMi can be integrated with BSM from NNMi directly, this can be done from NNMi integration tab option right?

how about target connector license..please confirm if below understanding is correct..

If Unisphere is monitoring 100 devices and we are integrating unisphere with OMi then we need 100 target connector license, is it??

Also as mentioned by you below we need to install SCOM over BSM connector that means we must have BSM connector in both cases below,

1)you have SCOM or other OOTB package for intgration

2)you have to integrate some third party tool with OMi for which OOTB package is not available..

it will be great if you provide link to download BSM connector setup, i have downloaded SCOm setup from link given by you!!

Thanks again for your help!!!

Hanumant

• Thank you so much Dmitry..this has cleared so many doubts..but still I would like to know few things..

Okay that means NNMi can be integrated with BSM from NNMi directly, this can be done from NNMi integration tab option right?

how about target connector license..please confirm if below understanding is correct..

If Unisphere is monitoring 100 devices and we are integrating unisphere with OMi then we need 100 target connector license, is it??

Also as mentioned by you below we need to install SCOM over BSM connector that means we must have BSM connector in both cases below,

1)you have SCOM or other OOTB package for intgration

2)you have to integrate some third party tool with OMi for which OOTB package is not available..

it will be great if you provide link to download BSM connector setup, i have downloaded SCOm setup from link given by you!!

Thanks again for your help!!!

Hanumant

Children
  • Verified Answer

>>>Okay that means NNMi can be integrated with BSM from NNMi directly, this can be done from NNMi integration tab option right?

That would topology integration only. For event integration you would need BSM Connector and SNMP integration policies generated on NNMi server itself - check NNMi docs for details.

>>>If Unisphere is monitoring 100 devices and we are integrating unisphere with OMi then we need 100 target connector license, is it??

Yes, it is. Unless those devices (some or all of them) are network devices (switches, routers etc.). In this case TC licenses are not required for integration such devices.

>>>Also as mentioned by you below we need to install SCOM over BSM connector that means we must have BSM connector in both cases below

Correct.

>>>it will be great if you provide link to download BSM connector setup

It's on the regular HP Support web site in the Patches section. Select BSM version you work with and you will find BSM Connector link there.

• Verified Answer

>>>Okay that means NNMi can be integrated with BSM from NNMi directly, this can be done from NNMi integration tab option right?

That would topology integration only. For event integration you would need BSM Connector and SNMP integration policies generated on NNMi server itself - check NNMi docs for details.

>>>If Unisphere is monitoring 100 devices and we are integrating unisphere with OMi then we need 100 target connector license, is it??

Yes, it is. Unless those devices (some or all of them) are network devices (switches, routers etc.). In this case TC licenses are not required for integration such devices.

>>>Also as mentioned by you below we need to install SCOM over BSM connector that means we must have BSM connector in both cases below

Correct.

It's on the regular HP Support web site in the Patches section. Select BSM version you work with and you will find BSM Connector link there.

• Verified Answer

Correct.

• Hi Dmitry,

Thanks a lot for provided information. I have downaded the BSM connector dump for BSM 9.20 from support site.

code of the product is "Software_HP_BSM_Connector_9.20_TB998-15023.iso".

Please confirm that I will have to install this on machine of third party system or any stand alone server from integration with third party tools and If I have 5 EMS system to intgrate I will install it on all 5 EMS systems.

Hanumant

• While it's technically possible to use the same BSM Connector installation to handle multiple integrations, it's better to have BSM Connector intalled on the server running the product being integrated, so in your case 5 separate BSM Connectors would be the best approach.

Keep in mind that BSM Connector 9.20 is not the latest version available.

• While it's technically possible to use the same BSM Connector installation to handle multiple integrations, it's better to have BSM Connector intalled on the server running the product being integrated, so in your case 5 separate BSM Connectors would be the best approach.

• Hi Dmitry,

since we have BSM 9.20 in our environment we will be using BSM connector 9.20...is it the correct way or i can still use BSM connector latest version than 9.20 with BSM 9.20
  • Also NNMi can be integrated with BSM in two ways..1) topology integration from NNMi and other is 2)usng BSM connector..so either of one can be done at a time right..I mean if I want to use BSM connector then no need to use topology integration,

and we want to use BSM connector because only topology integration will not forward events to BSM right??

Please confirm..

• Topology and event integrations are 2 parts that must be done together. First configure topology integration and make sure it works, i.e. BSM contains NNMi nodes, then proceed with event integration. In this case those events will be resolved to correct CIs in BSM.