ModScript

Digged a bit around the "Brand NEW" Modscript feature and it was a lot of disappointment. Are we really moving from an old "vbScript 4.0" ~1998 with like no online exploitable documentation, no support for object oriented stuff (classes were introduced with vb 5.0)
to a whole new inHouse scripting language "ModScript" based on the same VB4.0 ?!

How will that gonna help us to make proper restfull back-end api's and object oriented developpment on the backend side of Serena ? You know, to interact with the whole rest of the environment around SBM ...

We had some hope with that unsupported groovy API used in RLC that was not perfect but had a future, but this ModScript, come on we are in 2017 how real is it to base a scripting lang on a 1998 era stuff ?

Tags:

Parents
  • We just started to learn Modscript/Chaiscript. Of course a lot of questions are open and Chaiscript itself is a little bit misleading. What I know by today:

Chaiscript is not VBS and chaiscript is also not C .
    The confusion with C comes from the fact, that Chaiscript is written in C and can be nicly integrated into existing C projects. In fact it looks like, that the description of the C integration of Chaiscript is much better than the description of Chaiscript/Modscript language itself.

The Chaiscript/Modscript language feels more like Javascript, but actually it has nothing much todo with Javascript. Due to the fact, that the Chaiscript/Modscript language itself is badly documented, I started my own blog, putting to gether, what I learn on Chaiscript: https://drolliblog.wordpress.com/2017/12/22/chaiscript-overview-and-tutorial/... maybe it helps a little bit.

we did incorporate into ModScript the concept of a "Variant".

Although Chaiscript seems to be powerful and new, the documentation is not that good. Even more worse, SBM introduces new concepts, which are not documented. Not in the official (rare) Chaiscript documentation (obviously, because "Variant" is a SBM invention) and also not in the Modscript guide.

I have already raised several incidents because of this, but in general: @SBM: Please document all the deviations and "inventions" compared to original Chaiscript. These inventions and extras must be documented in the Modscript Reference.

There is "Variant" and also "
  • We just started to learn Modscript/Chaiscript. Of course a lot of questions are open and Chaiscript itself is a little bit misleading. What I know by today:

Chaiscript is not VBS and chaiscript is also not C .
    The confusion with C comes from the fact, that Chaiscript is written in C and can be nicly integrated into existing C projects. In fact it looks like, that the description of the C integration of Chaiscript is much better than the description of Chaiscript/Modscript language itself.

The Chaiscript/Modscript language feels more like Javascript, but actually it has nothing much todo with Javascript. Due to the fact, that the Chaiscript/Modscript language itself is badly documented, I started my own blog, putting to gether, what I learn on Chaiscript: https://drolliblog.wordpress.com/2017/12/22/chaiscript-overview-and-tutorial/... maybe it helps a little bit.

we did incorporate into ModScript the concept of a "Variant".

Although Chaiscript seems to be powerful and new, the documentation is not that good. Even more worse, SBM introduces new concepts, which are not documented. Not in the official (rare) Chaiscript documentation (obviously, because "Variant" is a SBM invention) and also not in the Modscript guide.

I have already raised several incidents because of this, but in general: @SBM: Please document all the deviations and "inventions" compared to original Chaiscript. These inventions and extras must be documented in the Modscript Reference.

There is "Variant" and also "
Children
No Data