Unexpected update behavior

Hello Experts,

Using Radia 4.2 I experienced the following strange behavior:

In a domain with multiple zservices, the BASE instance of the zservice class was changed (ZSVCMO from O to M)

Some of the zservices already had this property set to M and were effectively not changed (timestamp of the zservice object did not change either)
Nevertheless this resulted in the invocation of the update method of that zservice.

Is this a bug or an 'undocumented feature'?

Best regards,
Lucien.
Parents
  • Verified Answer

I would call it neither a bug nor an undocumented feature. It's the architecture of the product: if the _BASE_INSTANCE_ is updated, all instances of this class are updated. Check ZOBJDATE/ZOBJTIME in the instance export deck (XPI).

Indeed, changing the _BASE_INSTANCE_ using the System Explorer in a class of the SOFTWARE domain is something which you should have never done.... exactly because of the consequences you experience.

If there really is an urgent need to update the _BASE_INSTANCE_, then you should have done it via the command line:
    ZEDMAMS VERB=CHANGE_FLD_VALUE,FILE="PRIMARY",DOMAIN="SOFTWARE",CLASS="ZSERVICE",FLDNAME=ZSVCMO,KEEPDATE=YES,TYPE=V,DEFAULT="M"

Using this approach the instance time stamps will not be updated and thus there won't be any update for the agents.
  • Verified Answer

I would call it neither a bug nor an undocumented feature. It's the architecture of the product: if the _BASE_INSTANCE_ is updated, all instances of this class are updated. Check ZOBJDATE/ZOBJTIME in the instance export deck (XPI).

Indeed, changing the _BASE_INSTANCE_ using the System Explorer in a class of the SOFTWARE domain is something which you should have never done.... exactly because of the consequences you experience.

If there really is an urgent need to update the _BASE_INSTANCE_, then you should have done it via the command line:
    ZEDMAMS VERB=CHANGE_FLD_VALUE,FILE="PRIMARY",DOMAIN="SOFTWARE",CLASS="ZSERVICE",FLDNAME=ZSVCMO,KEEPDATE=YES,TYPE=V,DEFAULT="M"

Using this approach the instance time stamps will not be updated and thus there won't be any update for the agents.
Children
No Data