Creating an empty text file using FS Write Operation

I need a way to create an empty text file without any newlines or anything.  I'm trying to use the COUNT result to bring back the number of lines in the file as I write to it.  The initial creation of the file should be empty without any lines.  However, it looks like it returns a COUNT = 1.0.  I am writing this file to my Central Windows 2008 server.

Inputs are as follows:

file = \\${centralHost}\c$\Temp\somefilename.txt

user = systemaccount

password = systemaccount

delimiter = blank

overwrite = true

characterSet = blank

This is 9.05/Content Pack 9.

Any ideas?

• Hi,

This should be pretty easy to workaround, although the answer may differ based on my query below.

Are you using the /lib/FileSystem/Windows Only/Write to File operation? I don't have a "COUNT" result on either the Windows or Cross Platform 'Write to File' operations and I'm running 9.05 CP9 as well. I only have a "COUNT" result on the 'Read File' operations.

Or are you using a "Line Count" result filter on the contents?

Are you sure the contents and delimiter inputs aren't inheriting a value from a previous variable? Although the 'Use Constant' may be blank that will be ignored if the 'assign from' variable actually has a value.

If you can give a little overview of what you're trying to achieve as well, any solution I can give will be better tailored.

cheers

steve

• I figured it out.  It all has to do with the delimiters and characterSet usage. I used this to get it to work:

/Library/Operations/File System/Windows Only/Write to File

Inputs:

contents = nothing

delimiter = nothing

overwrite = true

characterSet = US-ASCII

This creates an empty text file.

Now, as my steps execute successfully I write a step number to this file using the /Library/Operations/File System/Windows Only/Write to File operation with these settings:

contents = "step number like 1 or 2 or 3...."

delimiter = "\n"

overwrite = false so it will append

characterSet = US-ASCII

To determine if step has successfully completed on future runs I use /Library/Operations/File System/Windows Only/Read File to read the file which returns COUNT for number of lines in the file.  I use logic to determine if the step has executed previously with success based on this COUNT.

This allows me to Run, Skip, or Force Skip a step for error handling.