After upgrading to UCMDB 10.31, we were able to access the GUI properly. The browser was also upgraded to 4.12.61 and it worked fine. The next day, I tried to access the GUI and the process gets stuck for a long time. I get the following message:
HP Universal CMDB 10.31
Page loading in process
I have stopped and started the services to see if the problem goes away, but it did not. I also restarted the server and problem persists. The UCMDB Browser is able to connect fine and create reports, so I believe the issue is GUI related. I have tried different browsers and different machines, with the same result.