Hello UCMDB gurus,
I am working on a unique implementation of Asset Manager and UCMDB. The project is focused around the tracking, topology definition and impact analysis of customer managed voice and data circuits.
A brief overview of the solution design
Circuits are designed and built out in Asset Manager. A Circuits is made up of relationships (sequences) between N assets. These relationships are defined using the Cable & Circuit module in AM.
The Circuit and the relationships are passed over to UCMDB, creating CI's and most importantly, the topology. This is where things get interesting, as we now have visual representation of what a Circuit look likes.
The customer can also do things like impact analysis (i.e., what happens if a piece of Fiber is cut or a switch goes down?).
Here is an example of a simple circuit topology using UCMDB Views.
We setup Views to show Circuit Topology. The customer has 20,000 Circuits and we have ran into insurmountable performance issues (~ 25 minutes to logon). We have been working with HP R&D and Support. The lag is caused by how UCMDB applies permissions/security. To summarize, we found out the hard way that UCMDB does not scale to 20,000 Views.
The workaround is to move to the UCMDB browser and use widgets to display topology rather than using Views. HP has provided an example of a topology widget and it looks promising.
HP suggested I try out this forum. I am looking for input/advice on the below items.
* Can UCMDB Browser provide a URL that takes you right into a Circuit CI and the topology widget? The use case is help desk agents need a link that will bring them straight into the topology. If they have to logon to UCMDB Browser, that is fine, but they don't want to search for the Circuit CI again, just straight to the picture. <see below>
* The History widget is not showing "removed" relationships. This is a must have for the customer. Also want to update the <Change related CIs> section to show you what type of change (Add, Remove, Update). Right now it just says "Related".....I have it highlighted below.
* Recommended documentation for customer to learn more about widgets? I have Admin/Config guides in my notes.
* Impact Analysis - can we use the OOB reports with UCMDB Browser? If not, what are our options?
* Does the History widget capture and display CI relationship changes (add/remove/update)
* Can we do reporting on topology changes with widgets - (ex. what has changed in Circuit 123 in last 30 days). What does this look like? We were using the View Change Report.
* Can we call a UCMDB OOB report from the browser?
* Confirm that UCMDB Browser security works the same as thick client.
* When you are in the topology widget, what is the best way to select a node and view all the attributes?
* Are there any licensing impacts with switching to UCMDB Browser?
~ Cody Wolf