Please find attached, few questions that is not clear to me.
1. The difference between customer and tenants.
-customers can have/manage multiple tenants.
-customers can have different class models hence even if customer has same tenants created they are kind of different (actually never seen such a configuration and not sure if it’s possible)
2. Why we cannot add a tenant from JMX console.
It can be done from jmx-console->Tenant Management Services->addTenant
3. In the documents it’s given that we need separate probes for separate tenants.
Yes it is recommended to set different tenant for each probe as in the push population job it is easier to know from where and what probe has added/changed data.
Also as I know it probe that manages multiple tenants does not know to what tenant to map data in case of push for example.
4. How do we download separate probes for separate tenants in that case and how to install those in a tenant specific manner?
If I understand correctly to set up probe with default tenant you need to go to data flow probe install folder\conf\ DataFlowProbe.properties and in there you can find “com.hp.ucmdb.discovery.Probe.DefaultTenant”
5. Suppose we integrate uCMDB with Service Manager or any other tool and want it to be tenant specific, how are we going to link it through the customer credentials in the SM side or through the tenant credentials in the SM side so that data’s and resources of one cannot be visible by others. (as I had seen in tenants, we can view the data of 1 tenant in the other).
I am not an expert in SM but as I know it SM is not tenant specific. If can be configured to handle tenants (keep original tenatns) as a middle man but I am not sure if possible to restrict data visibility on tenants.
6. What is the difference between Groups and resource groups?
A group can contain several users and assigns to them permissions on resources like a specific view or tql or some CIT.
Resources groups refers to all views all queries and when assigning such a role that has permissions on resource group it will give permissions on all views or queries.
So the main difference is that Groups refers to groups of users and can have several roles assigned, so basically is permission assignment. Resource groups represents grouping resources in order to be assigned to specific role.
Referring to question 1:
Is Customer and Tenants same thing or different thing?
Please find attached document to find the scenario I am facing.
Referring to question no 4:
After installing the probe for the default tenant, how to install probes thereon for further tenants that I had added.
Customer and tenant are different things.
Customers can be viewed as a building owner. Withina building we can have several tenatns. Each tenant can own part of the building (just one part; it can contain several stories or just an apartment) of the building and they can be shared with other tenants.
I think a probe can have only one default tenant assigned. So it can only be changed.
In order to add new tenant assignement add new probe.
When speaking about multi tenancy we have these rules. Resources can have only one owner but it can be shared/viewed by several ones (according to what permission I assign).