Reasons for a CMDB

I recently joined a fairly large (1500 servers) IT company as a sysadmin, after learning most of the ins and outs of the company I noticed there is no real CMDB. This baffled me, the way I see it a CMDB is the core of your IT service.

I've tried to convince some colleagues about the use and need for one but the whole company has a sort of 'it has always been like this' mentality and I'm at a lost for good arguments, things are running ok, but every day I have to troubleshoot servers I've never even heard of and twice now I've come across whole domains that were previously unknown to me.

I would like to hear your thoughts on a CMDBless company and hear your arguments I can use to convince my colleagues (and management) of the use/need of a good and structured CMDB.

• Hi there,

in my previous job I was in a similar scenario. I thought that I know my ecosystem but there was always something hidden.

I remember one customer who had an environment which was composed of 3 different networks all merged after several acquisitions. It was a nightmare when they had to do a license estimation for several big vendors. The Financial team needed an estimate so they could plan the budget for next year.
    The IT guys had no ideas how many Windows nodes they had, what OS versions, how many Oracle DBs and so on. They tried to guess it as they did in the past. This kind of backfired when they had an audit. They decided on the spot to deploy UCMDB and make use of it within the 22-trial period. The result was kind of shocking for them as the modeled topology was different than what they thought they should have.

In the end they could make a proper license estimation and they included UCMDB in the budget for the next year. At the end they spent less money on licenses because they discovered a lot of abandoned VMs, DBs and other license consuming SW.

There are so many reasons to use a CMDB. It depends on what you need and expect from it.

Kind regards,

Bogdan