IMPORTANT NOTICE:  As of 21 February, anything posted in this community WILL NOT BE MIGRATED to our new community site.   We have pulled all user information and data from this site and are now in an approximately week long process of importing users, roles, and data to our new site.  We are leaving this site open and active so you can post and hopefully get a response until the migration is complete.   Once complete, the URL  that currently takes you to this site will take you to our new site so your bookmarks will work as always.  Please read the information on a New Login Process

Product Documentation

Compiling for data items greater than 64k

Greetings,

We're trying to compile several programs written in Acucobol 4.1 with the 10.2.1 compiler. We're hitting this particular issue. Many programs are throwing

"data item exceeds 64K"

The thing is, I am trying to compile the program with the -Z41 flag set for backwards compatibility. These load modules are used by a 4.1 runtime so this is important.

10.2.1 compiles the program successfully without the -Z41 flag set.

I see that there is an additional flag that seems to address exactly the issue I am facing

-Zl     All data items may be larger than 64 KB. This option is obsolete. In versions prior to 6.0, this option caused the compiler to allow data items larger than 64 KB.

As mentioned above, the option is obsolete and the compiler is clearly ignoring the flag even when set.

Any way forward?

• Hi,
    The -Zl option is obsolete IF you are creating object files 6.0 or newer. It still applies if you are creating older object files. Compiling with both -Z41 and -Zl should enable data items larger than 64k. I do not have version 4.1 and so my tests were done comparing compiler version 5.2.1 with 10.2.1. They behave the same with data items larger than 64k using both -Z41 and -Zl.