Created On:  23 October 2012

Problem:

Fileshare has been installed as a Windows service using the command fsservice -i.

Although the Fileshare service was set to Automatic with Server for COBOL 4.0/5.0/5.1 or COBOL Server 1.0/2.0/2.1, the service is not started after reboot.

Event Viewer reports the following two errors:

"A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Micro Focus Fileshare Service service to connect."

"The Micro Focus Fileshare Service service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

Resolution:

This problem occurs when Fileshare is started as a service while the CCITCP2 daemon is not running.

The CCITCP2 daemon has to be installed as a service and has to be started before starting the Fileshare service.

Here are the steps to set up the Fileshare service properly:

1. open a Command Prompt session that is run as administrator (i.e. right-click on the Command Prompt shortcut and click on Run as administrator)
2. If the PATH does not contain the bin folder of the Micro Focus Server or COBOL Server product then you will need to either set this manually using:

SET PATH=path to product\bin;%PATH%
or
   CD path to product\bin

3. install the CCITCP2 daemon as a service --> ccitcp2 -i
4. start the CCITCP2 daemon service --> net start mf_CCITCP2
5. install Fileshare as a service --> fsservice -i
6. set the Fileshare service startup type as automatic --> sc config "Micro Focus Fileshare Service" start= auto
7. set the CCITCP2 daemon service as dependency of the Fileshare service --> sc config "Micro Focus Fileshare Service" depend= mf_CCITCP2
8. start the Fileshare service --> net start "Micro Focus Fileshare Service"

Note: There IS a space after the equals signs, and there IS NOT a space before the same equals signs.

Incident #2596500