IMPORTANT NOTICE:  As of 21 February, anything posted in this community WILL NOT BE MIGRATED to our new community site.   We have pulled all user information and data from this site and are now in an approximately week long process of importing users, roles, and data to our new site.  We are leaving this site open and active so you can post and hopefully get a response until the migration is complete.   Once complete, the URL  that currently takes you to this site will take you to our new site so your bookmarks will work as always.  Please read the information on a New Login Process

failed during CreateProcess function call with error 183

Hello,

I have Orbix6.3.4 on Windows 2008 and when I start a process I get these errors in the node_daemon log:

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 07:43:27.0000000 [ORBIXTV11:5024] (IT_ACTIVATOR:14) E - Process with Process ID -1 changed state to CREATE_PROCESS_FAILED.
Thu, 21 Sep 2017 07:43:27.0000000 [ORBIXTV11:5024] (IT_ACTIVATOR:61) E - Process "DS_GMOD6SUM" in domain "lamda.location" failed during CreateProcess function call with error 0: The operation completed successfully.

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 08:26:47.0000000 [ORBIXTV11:3152] (IT_ACTIVATOR:14) E - Process with Process ID -1 changed state to CREATE_PROCESS_FAILED.
Thu, 21 Sep 2017 08:26:47.0000000 [ORBIXTV11:3152] (IT_ACTIVATOR:61) E - Process "DS_GMOD6SUM" in domain "lamda.location" failed during CreateProcess function call with error 183: Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

As a result nothing is working for me.  I have tried deleting and re-creating the domain and get the same error.  Anyone know what might be going wrong?

Thanks,

Pat.

• Hi Pat,
    The process started up by the daemon fails to start due to Windows error 183 (Cannot create a file when that file already exists). You need to check what this process is actually trying to do when started up. What is the output of "itadmin process show DS_GMOD6SUM"?

Hope this helps,
    Roland
  • Hi Pat,

Please log a support incident and we'll organize an online meeting to try and resolve this issue.

Thanks,
    Roland
  • In reply to RolandS:

Roland,

I should have added that it creates a log file to keep a log of the information and error messages it generates as it operates. This log file is created with zero bytes and it's permissions allow the user running the node_daemon full access. So basically the program starts with these arguments
    -N CUS_SUMMITTOMA_GMOD6SUM -ML 2 -MG 2 -CFG SummitToMA_cfg.xml -LOGFILE c:\summit\error\GMOD6SUM\CUS_SUMMITTOMA_GMOD6SUM_error_05222017_153334.log
    It creates the file and then writes nothing into it before exiting or does Orbix create the file before starting the program?

Many thanks, for your help,
    Pat.
  • In reply to PatFahy:

Hi Pat,

Please provide the output of "itadmin process show DS_GMOD6SUM", so that I understand how the process is registered in the IMR.

Those arguments are all application specific and nothing to do with Orbix, so I cannot really say how the application is handling those. Does this process generate an Orbix log file as well?

Thanks,
    Roland
  • In reply to RolandS:

Roland,
    There are 4 log files the error messages I posted above appear in node_daemon log

Here is process show output:

Process Name: DS_GMOD6SUM
    Active: no
    Description: TRANSIENT_NAME=Summit/DistServer/BOIR26E2:GMOD6SUM/Transient/Monitor;PERSISTENT_NAME=Summit/DistServer/BOIR26E2:GMOD6SUM/DS_GMOD6SUM;
    Startup Mode: disable
    Usually Monitored By: iona_services.node_daemon.orbixtv11
    Startup Information:
    Node Daemon Name: iona_services.node_daemon.orbixtv11
    Path Name: c:\summit\V5\V5.5\exe\distserver_2k.exe
    Arguments: -N DS_GMOD6SUM -ML 2 -MG 2 -NTO -LOGFILE c:\summit\error\GMOD6SUM\DS_GMOD6SUM_error_09202017_215143.log
    Environment Variables (121):
    ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData
    APPDATA=C:\Users\Orbix_test\AppData\Roaming
    CANDLE_HOME=C:\IBM\ITM
    CLASSPATH=C:\Orbix6.3.4\asp\6.3\lib\asp-corba.jar;C:/Orbix6.3.4/config/orbixtv11/lamda/etc\domains\lamda;C:\IBM\WebSphereMQ\java\lib\com.ibm.mqjms.jar;C:\IBM\WebSphereMQ\java\lib\com.ibm.mq.jar;
    CLIENTNAME=N78T8MC2W7
    CLIENTPATH=c:\summit\V5\paul\client\boir
    COMMONPROGRAMFILES=C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1
    COMMONPROGRAMFILES(X86)=C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1
    COMMONPROGRAMW6432=C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1
    COMPUTERNAME=ORBIXTV11
    COMSPEC=C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe
    CONFIRMATIONS_PRINTER=PrintConfo_GMOD6SUM
    DFSTRACINGON=FALSE
    DISPLAY=:0.0
    DOC_NAME_METHOD=BYDISPATCH
    DOMAIN_NAME=lamda
    ENUM_DICTIONARY_PATH=H:\RFA\enumtype.def
    FIELD_DICTIONARY_PATH=H:\RFA\RDMFieldDictionary
    FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
    HOME=C:\Users\Orbix_test
    HOMEDRIVE=C:
    HOMEPATH=\Users\Orbix_test
    IBIS_PRINTER=PrintIBIS_GMOD6SUM
    IBIS_US_PRINTER=PrintIBIS_US_GMOD6SUM
    INCLUDE=C:\IBM\WebSphereMQ\tools\c\include;C:\IBM\WebSphereMQ\tools\cplus\include
    IT_CONFIG_DOMAINS_DIR=C:/Orbix6.3.4/config/orbixtv11/lamda/etc\domains
    IT_DOMAIN_NAME=lamda
    IT_LICENSE_FILE=C:\Orbix6.3.4\etc\ASP_licenses-runtime.txt
    IT_PRODUCT_DIR=C:\Orbix6.3.4
    JAVA_HOME=C:/jdk1.6.0_17
    KUIFILEPATH=C:\IBM\ITM\bin\xml
    LANGUAGE=ENGLISH
    LIB=C:\IBM\WebSphereMQ\tools\lib64;C:\IBM\WebSphereMQ\tools\lib
    LIBPATH=C:\IBM\ITM\TMAITM6;C:\IBM\ITM\InstallITM
    LM_LICENSE_FILE=33333@orbixtv11
    LOCALAPPDATA=C:\Users\Orbix_test\AppData\Local
    LOGONOFFLEVEL=2
    LOGONSERVER=\\VM000000507
    MACHINE_NAME=orbixtv11
    MAN_CHM_INDEX=C:/PROGRA~2/MKS_Toolkit/etc/chm/tkutil.idx;C:/PROGRA~2/MKS_Toolkit/etc/chm/tkapi.idx;C:/PROGRA~2/MKS_Toolkit/etc/chm/tcltk.idx;C:/PROGRA~2/MKS_Toolkit/etc/chm/tkcurses.idx
    MAN_HTM_PATHS=C:/PROGRA~2/MKS_Toolkit/etc/htm/perl;C:/PROGRA~2/MKS_Toolkit/etc/htm/perl/pod;C:/PROGRA~2/MKS_Toolkit/etc/htm/perl/ext;C:/PROGRA~2/MKS_Toolkit/etc/htm/perl/lib
    MAN_TXT_INDEX=C:/PROGRA~2/MKS_Toolkit/etc/tkutil.idx;C:/PROGRA~2/MKS_Toolkit/etc/tkapi.idx;C:/PROGRA~2/MKS_Toolkit/etc/tcltk.idx;C:/PROGRA~2/MKS_Toolkit/etc/tkcurses.idx
    MISC_V35=YES
    MQCHLLIB=C:\IBM\WebSphereMQ\Qmgrs\QM_orbixtv11\@ipcc
    MQCHLTAB=AMQCLCHL.TAB
    MQ_FILE_PATH=C:\IBM\WebSphereMQ
    MQ_JAVA_DATA_PATH=C:\IBM\WebSphereMQ
    MQ_JAVA_INSTALL_PATH=C:\IBM\WebSphereMQ\java
    MQ_JRE_PATH=C:\IBM\WebSphereMQ\java\jre
    NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=1
    NUTCROOT=C:\PROGRA~2\MKS
    Toolkit
    ORACLE_HOME=C:\oracle11
    ORACLE_SID=GMOD6SUM
    OS=Windows_NT
    PATH=C:\Orbix6.3.4\bin;C:\jdk1.6.0_17\jre\bin\client;C:\Orbix6.3.4\asp\6.3\bin;C:/Orbix6.3.4/config/orbixtv11/lamda/etc\bin;c:\summit\V5\paul\client\boir\exe;c:\summit\V5\paul\client\boir\lib;c:\summit\V5\paul\client\boir\bin;c:\summit\V5\V5.5\exe;c:\summit\V5\V5.5\lib;c:\summit\V5\V5.5\bin;H:\RFA;c:\summit\V5\V5.5\exe;c:\summit\V5\V5.5\lib;c:\summit\V5\V5.5\bin;c:\summit\V5\paul\exe;c:\summit\V5\paul\lib;c:\summit\V5\paul\bin;C:\Orbix6.3.4\bin;C:\jdk1.6.0_17\jre\bin\client;c:\summit\V5\paul\syslibs;C:\jdk1.6.0_17\bin;C:\jdk1.6.0_17\jre\bin\client;c:\perl-5.8.4\bin;C:\Orbix6.3.4\asp\6.3\bin;C:\Orbix6.3.4\config\orbixtv11\lamda\etc\bin;C:\oracle11\bin;C:\oracle11;C:\IBM\WebSphereMQ\bin64;C:\IBM\WebSphereMQ\bin;C:\IBM\WebSphereMQ\bin;C:\perl-5.8.4\bin;C:\Windows\System32;
    PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC;.sh;.ksh;.csh;.sed;.awk;.pl
    PERL=C:\perl-5.8.4\bin
    PERLLIB=C:\perl-5.8.4\lib
    PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
    PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432=AMD64
    PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=Intel64_Family_6_Model_26_Stepping_4,_GenuineIntel
    PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
    PROCESSOR_REVISION=1a04
    PROGRAMDATA=C:\ProgramData
    PROGRAMFILES=C:\PROGRA~2
    PROGRAMFILES(X86)=C:\PROGRA~2
    PROGRAMW6432=C:\PROGRA~1
    PSMODULEPATH=C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\
    PUBLIC=C:\Users\Public
    RBKA_LOGRETENTION=60
    RBKA_SOURCE_FILES=C:\Runbook\SourceFiles
    RBKA_SYSTEMSTATE_PATH=C:\Runbook\SystemState
    RBKA_TOOLS=C:\Runbook\Tools
    RBKA_TOOLS_PATH=C:\Runbook\Tools
    ROOTDIR=C:/PROGRA~2/MKS_Toolkit
    RTFACCESSLOG=Yes
    RTFDEBUG=5
    RTFUSER=fahyp
    RUNBOOK=C:\Runbook
    SDMT_PRINTER=PrintSDMT_GMOD6SUM
    SESSIONNAME=RDP-Tcp#0
    SHELL=C:/PROGRA~2/MKS_Toolkit/mksnt/sh.exe
    SNOW_INVENTORY_HOME=C:\PROGRA~1\INVENTORYCLIENT
    SUMMITDBCLIENTVERSION=111
    SUMMITDBNAME=BOIR26E2
    SUMMITERRDIR=c:\summit\error\GMOD6SUM
    SUMMITHOME=c:
    SUMMITPRINTER=stkntprint
    SUMMITRTF=RFA
    SUMMITRTFSIM=NO
    SUMMITSPARSE=c:\summit\V5\V5.5
    SUMMITSPOOLDIR=C:\summit\spool\
    SUMMITUSER=BOIR26E2SUMMITUSER
    SUMMITVERSION=summit\V5\paul
    SUMMIT_RFA_CONFIG=H:\RFA\SummitRFA_Win.cfg
    SU_CONFIG_PATH=C:/Orbix6.3.4/config
    SU_CONFIG_PATH_VAR=C:/Orbix6.3.4/config
    SU_ORBIXADM=orbix_test
    SYSLIBS=H:\V5\paul\syslibs
    SYSTEMDRIVE=C:
    SYSTEMROOT=C:\Windows
    TEMP=C:\Users\ORBIX_~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2
    TERM=nutc
    TERMCAP=C:\PROGRA~2\MKS
    Toolkit\etc\termcap
    TERMINFO=C:\PROGRA~2\MKS
    Toolkit\usr\lib\terminfo
    TICKETDIR=C:\summit\spool
    TMP=C:\Users\ORBIX_~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2
    TMPDIR=C:/Users/ORBIX_~1/AppData/Local/Temp/2
    TRACE_FORMAT_SEARCH_PATH=\\winseqfe\release\Windows6.0\lh_sp2rtm\6002.18005.090410-1830\amd64fre\symbols.pri\TraceFormat
    UATDATA=C:\Windows\SysWOW64\CCM\UATData\D9F8C395-CAB8-491d-B8AC-179A1FE1BE77
    USER=orbixadm
    USERDNSDOMAIN=BOIGM.COM
    USERDOMAIN=BOIGM
    USERNAME=orbix_test
    USERPROFILE=C:\Users\Orbix_test
    WINDIR=C:\Windows
    WINLOGMGR=C:\script
    XMLPARSER=\\orbixtv11\xml4j_2_0_15-Win
    File Access Permissions:
    User: orbix_test
    Group: BOIGM
    File Creation Permissions:
    Umask: 022
    Current Directory: c:\temp
    Resource Limits: Inherited from Node Daemon

Thanks again,
    Pat.
  • In reply to PatFahy:

Hi Pat,

See the startup mode for this process, it is disabled, so the daemon won't be able to start it:
    Startup Mode: disable

Try "itadmin process enable DS_GMOD6SUM" and see if this works then.

For details on the itadmin process option run "itadmin process -help" or on any of the subcommands "itadmin process <subcommand> -help"

Hope this helps,
    Roland
  • In reply to RolandS:

Hi Roland,
    I have tried that already and it makes no difference. My feeling is that it has to do with security but the message is not giving enough detail about the root cause.
    Thanks,
    Pat.
  • In reply to PatFahy:

Hi Pat,

As Roland mentioned, the Windows error “183” signifies the application is attempting to create a file, which already exists.

To help determine whether the issue lies with the Node Daemon, or the application, please try running the following command:

> c:\summit\V5\V5.5\exe\distserver_2k.exe -N DS_GMOD6SUM -ML 2 -MG 2 -NTO -LOGFILE c:\summit\error\GMOD6SUM\DS_GMOD6SUM_error_09202017_215143.log

Before running the above command, please be sure to set the 121 environment variables, as described in the output of the "itadmin process show" command.

If you see the same error when attempting to run the command manually, it would suggest the problem lies in the application itself.

Alternatively, if it is possible to launch the application manually, I suggest raising a support ticket with us, so we can look into this in more detail.

Thank you and best regards,
    Pat
    Micro Focus SupportLine
  • In reply to Pat Morrissey:

Hello,

I tried that already and the program starts normally, writes it's initialisation massages in the logfile referenced in the arguments and stays running as expected. It is as if the node_daemon was unable to allow its privs to be inherited to the spawned process; could Windows cause that?
    Thanks again,
    Pat.
  • In reply to PatFahy:

Hi Pat,

Under what user is the node daemon iona_services.node_daemon.orbixtv11 running? When the daemon starts up a process, this process will inherit the node daemon's environment/privs.

What type of Orbix domain are you using? Is the lamda Orbix domain file based or CFR based? Are the Orbix services running as Windows services?
  • In reply to RolandS:

Hi,
    The Orbix daemons are started in an interactive session with the authenticated user BOIGM\ORBIX_test which is a local admin on the machine. In other words the Orbix servers are not Windows services. When I tried what you suggested, starting the program on the command line, I did it in the same windows user session that started Orbix. It's as if the process spawned by Orbix fails to inherit all the privileges it needs - I know that sounds crazy, so it is probably not the case.
    Pat.
  • In reply to PatFahy:

Hi Pat,

I note that the current directory for that process is c:\test. By any chance does the orbix_test user not have write permission to that directory?

You can use
    itadmin process modify DS_GMOD6SUM -directory <new dir>
    to change this working directory for the process to see if that helps.

Regards,
    Martin
  • In reply to MartinMu:

sorry, I meant c:\temp not c:\test
  • In reply to MartinMu:

Martin,
    I checked and the user can create. update and delete in c:\temp
    Pat.
  • In reply to PatFahy:

Hi Pat,

Can you modify -directory to another working directory as a test and then send on the output of itadmin process show DS_GMOD6SUM again?
    I assume this was something that used to work in the past or is this a new installation on this machine? I also assume you are using the workaround of starting the process manually until you can resolve the automatic activation error?

Out of interest can you try and register a process for the simple persistent demo with the same user and working directory just to see if that works fine?

- Martin