Access to certain defects also grants access to other related entities

Idea ID 2838853

Access to certain defects also grants access to other related entities

0 Votes

If you only grant a user role access to defects they can still get access to related entities

This cannot be controlled today - so my idea is to add the tab relations so access to this sub tab can be controlled and thereby access to other entities as well

If you only grant a role access to defects you dont want them to be able to see other entities and this is possible through Relations tab....and off course if there is a relation

defect module.jpg

5 Comments
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Hi @Jesper 

Module Access is not for data hiding. using module visibility is aimed more to provide users with a lighter view of Octane for the items they mainly work with. so if this is a group that only works on defect verification for example, you can hide all other modules for them. however, in some cases they would want to see related entities of the defects they are working on. If the need is full data hiding then module visibility is not the solution as all the entities are still available via the API and relations.

for full data hiding you should use the data access model which is already supported for defects and Manual tests. 

Regards,

Sigal

Admiral
Admiral

We use it for customer access - only access to Defect module and only to own defects with data access enabled

But if there are relations to a defect they will also get access to all these relations by clicking the id in relation

So when I define access to only defect module and data access to own defects they get access to all related entities - which is wrong in my mind.....I cannot prohibit access to related entities

br jesper

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Thanks for clarifying, it seems that your need is to have view control on entities. the only entity in Octane currently that supports view permission is Vulnerabilities, as by definition they should be seen only be privileged users. data hiding is amid to hide specific sensitive entities from users based on roles and conditions.

in order to make it clear that module visibility is not 'view' permission, i have asked the Docs team to add this note to the documentation:

Note: ALM Octane does not support permissions to disallow views of specific entity types. Even if a user is only permitted module access to certain entities, other entities can be seen via the Relations tab. For details on how to add further permission customization, see Data access (Enterprise Edition).

hope that should clarify.

as for the request to have view permissions for other entities (entire view for entities, unlike data hiding which defines conditions) - i will open this for otes.

Regards,

Sigal

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

Admiral
Admiral

Yes adding Data access on all entities helps a lot:)

But In ALM it was possible to hide certain fields also.....is this planned?

We like to hide developers comments or somehow tag comments as internal maybe so they are not shown to certain role

br jesper

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.