Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.

Copy Workspace

Idea ID 1673716

Copy Workspace

Should be possible to:

Copy workspace to another location..

• Isolated workspace to other Isolated workspace
  • Shared workspace to other Isolated workspace

Reason

• Use this for testing out functionality with needed data
  • When a workspace within a shared workspace has the need for doing more changes which cannot be done within the shared workspace limitation

8 Comments
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

Jesper Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

..forgot would also like to be able to:

Copy a workspace within a shared space to create new workspace withing that same shared space

thanks

mikesmithson Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Several variations of this request logged, but I couldn't agree more - this is a critical feature we need for testing, PoC, and cloning workspaces.  We used the default_workspace for awhile but after using it to orient new user and training it's a mess.

Teams also like to clone their current production space into a training environment so the users can learn on the same environment as production. Currently this is not possible and takes a lot of work to duplicate lists, fields, CI/CD and the rest to get a working space to train in.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Perhaps this could be combined with the request to export / import workspaces - and it would be perfect if you could select which items to copy / export / import. Do you want only the structure / UDF? Also all defects, requirements, tests? How about the users / groups?

@mikesmithson As a workaround you might use the REST API to copy predefined content into the training environment. I know other users enhanced the GDPR Content Pack to push standard requirements / tests / defects / users / UDF into their testing environments. If you need any help with the Content Pack please contact me directly.

Trusted Contributor.

I loaded the workspace from the GDPR Content Pack and checked out the script. Have to say the work there is fantastic - kudos for your genius in building that! I can build any solution in OTA or script with my eyes closed, but REST? I'm a total noob. Until I saw your work, I couldn't figure out how to authenticate using VBscript for the life of me - I'm a just say no to Java guy.

1. Import/Export
These couldn't be more different as data exported from Octane is nothing like what is required to import. It takes considerable redefinition of the content to get exported data back into a template that can be imported.

2. GDPR
From what I can tell, so far, this is the ideal place to start - doesn't hurt that it's script and wraps all the scary REST stuff so I don't have to re-invent the wheel, very cool.

3. Future
Balancing creating an in-house import/export/template solution now or waiting to see what Micro focus builds is the challenge. We need a solution yesterday or sooner, but then building our own while it doesn’t help the community it could work exactly as we need it to now. Ah, decisions, decisions...

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @mikesmithson ,

Thanks for your great feedback!

Regarding 1. Import / Export: I'd suggest you use the REST API to pull the data from the template Octane project in the format you prefer. Then you could manually / automatically adjust that data in Excel. Afterwards you use the REST API to push the data into the target workspace.

If you use the GDPR Content Pack as a quickstart please ignore the format in the GDPR sheets - I chose that format since I had to copy & paste all 24 languages manually from PDF into Excel. That's 24 x 88 pages and more than 24.000 copy-paste in total... That's why the GDPR language sheets contain the requirement structure in the columns.

You can import / export the Octane data in a simpler format and still use the VBA functions, just pass the correct values - hope the parameter names & documentation help you understand the concepts.

Cheers,

Dirk

Trusted Contributor.

Any progress on this feature? Not being able to copy a workspace, much less backup and restore it make it impossible to move forward with the ALM to Octane migration. We have to be able to copy for several reasons as others have mentioned.

Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Thank you for your feedback

This feature is requested by many customers and planned with high priority.

We are planning to provide an ability to export a workspace with all the data and import it to the same space (which will enable copy & backup/restore at workspace level).

no ETA yet.

Regards,

Sigal

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.