Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.

Excel Reports Generation in OCtane 12.60.4 as HP ALM

Excel Reports Generation in OCtane 12.60.4 as HP ALM

We need details on Excel Reports generation facility on Octane 12.60.4(CP7) to extract reports same as HP ALM

Tags (1)
11 Comments
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Please provide more details on the exact report you'd like to generate and export from the dashboard

Super Contributor.. vaidehisekar Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Hi Team,

We need general excel report same like HP ALM for eg: Test Execution report,Defects Report,etc..

Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Can you provide more information on what type of reports, can Odata be a sloution?

Super Contributor..

We need Excel reports same As HP ALM

Super Contributor..

Excel Reports for tests,test suite and defects same as HP ALM

Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

Parcsyde Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

I believe what the point vaidehisekar is trying to make here is that User coming over from HP ALM are expecting to find at least the same default reports in Octane. That being said, Octane is a different beast, more Agile\Scrum focused, so therefor the default reporting widgets are focused around that paradigm. However this is a very understandable request and expectation of a sibling tool in a large Product family. I myself find User requesting information on how to produce a report simular to that which they used in HP ALM, only to tell them it's not possible...currently...in Octane. I don't feel any Octane Admin\User is trying to make Octane something it is not meant to be, I just feel there are several areas within the system that definitely could use some further design, implementation and overall concept tweaks to better serve the genral Admin and User base. You get my Thumbs up for this idea.

Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor
Status changed to: Accepted

We have started working on generating reports from Octane. It will not be full blown reporting like you have in ALM, but we hope it will vover most of the use cases.

Tuboysdad Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Reporting is not as robust as in ALM/QC because this application  was meant for Agile/DevOps methodologies. However, Odata, Interactive API, and REST API calls are available for use and reports can be built with those tools. If you use Tableau or some kind of BI tool, you can access Odata and build reports from there.

That being said, you can also manuipulate the widgets and build UDFs to report on your metrics too. 

mikesmithson Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

I agree with vaidehisekar and Parcsyad that Excel reports similar to ALM are needed. 

oData, APIs, and REST require specific access, tools (like oData), and knowledge that complicates the learning curve for ALM users. These solutions are also external to Octane so users are required to jump between environments to get the data. 

I've struggled with all the mentioned options and a few others but nothing is as straightforward and useful as an Excel report generator.  

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.