ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins. Read more for important details.
ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins.Read more for important details.

Option to duplicate the selected test cases.

Idea ID 1795797

Option to duplicate the selected test cases.

Currently we see an option to duplicate a single test case only . Can we add an option to duplicate even when we select multiple test cases.

10 Comments
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Hi @asukum856 

Can you please share what is the use case for duplicating multiple tests in your company?

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I was looking in the forum if someone had a similar problem then I found this topic.

In fact I do have the same request. Actually if I want to duplicate many tests I also have to do it one by one. Doing it for 30+ tests is just too boring while it could be done in 2 clicks. The duplication of tables is annoying and the duplication of table - in my case - has a side effect with parameters.

A typical use case:

1) Creating a group of tests for a family of products. Each test has its own parameters.

2) Then instead of rewriting the tests for another product of the same family I decide to duplicate the test. This second product has the same steps and the same number/type of parameters as the first one but the content of parameters are different. The only solution I found was:

step 1: Link the tests inside a new Application Module.

step 2: Duplicate each test one by one; which is not nice as you can imagine.

step 3: Unlink of the original tests to "remove" them from the new Application Module.

step 4: Rename the "Copy of " string before each test. Again one by one...

step 5: Remove the table inside each test one by one.

step 6: Creating a new table with fields similar to the previous table on each test and updating the values of the cells of the tables... one by one.

You can also imagine that the growing of tables is a problem if the content of parameters is different from one product to another.

So 3 problems can be seen in my case:

- Duplication one by one.

- Renaming test one by one.

- Shared parameters/tables force to remove and create a lots of tables and it is done on each test one by one which is time consuming.

What would have made my life happier? Here are some ideas:

- A duplicate of all the tests by selecting them all and having the duplicate option available

- The ability to rename a whole set of tests

- Having the "Duplicate with new table" option which would not only duplicate the tests but also which would generate a new table copying the structure of the table with empty data fields (something like that: "param1=1", "param2=", etc. which becomes "param1=nothing", "param2=nothing", etc.).

- Using specific tables for each test is another alternative to the previous suggestion. The idea is to reuse some ideas Quality Center had by creating integrated parameters belonging to tests:

1. so there is no management of table for the users since there is no shared tables. Thus changing the parameter "param1" for test "test1" is not affecting "param1" of the test "Copy of test1"
  2. a duplication copy the parameter fields but not their values in the original table

That was my use case and the issues I met with test duplication.

@stinkyboy 

Did you try using different data sets inside the same table?

Hello @yael ,

Same need on my side to save time.

In some cases, users would like to be able to duplicate more than one test at the same time as they know they have similar other tests with only a few differences. Having to duplicate one by one is tedious and a bit time consuming. It would be better to be able to duplicate them all at once.

Thanks for your help,

Captain
Captain

I have the same request. Right now we can only duplicate one Manual Test but we need to duplicate many at once. We have similar tests with only a few differences so duplicating many at the same time would really save us time. Thank you!

We have just added (Octane 15.1.26, SaaS release) a better Excel export and import, which allows you to export a test (including steps) and import back in the same format. Please check it out, we'll be happy to hear your feedback as it might be a nice solution for this duplication use case as well.

Dear @asukum856 ,@Rebecca2 @stinkyboy @Razvan Despa ,

Can you please share with us if the option of export an excel with a test and its steps and import it back can be helpful? 

Thanks,

Adi

Commander
Commander

@Adi Kimhi, having the option to export tests and their steps into an Excel file with and import it back in without having to combine files and modify the layout would be extremely helpful for us. We have separate workspaces for each of our external partners and need to be able to share tests with those partners. Currently, we have to export the test details and the test steps separately, combine them into a single spreadsheet, and then modify the spreadsheet into the correct import format in order to copy tests from our primary workspace into our partner workspaces. As you might imagine, this process can be rather time consuming, and is not something our process leads are keen on doing every time they need to share tests with their external partners. However, if they could just select specific tests, export them to Excel and then send the Excel file to their external partners to import into their workspaces, it would eliminate a lot of extra steps.

Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.