Permission helper or/and possibility for admins to emulate user's session

Idea ID 2826394

Permission helper or/and possibility for admins to emulate user's session

Hi team,

One of our six spaces includes 32 roles. We had to create so many roles to be able to restrict access for users (customers) that are working in different banks, offshore/onshore users etc, taking into account that some should have access to Defects module only and other to backlog/test/defects.

Besides 30 rules added on space level and up to 50 on workspace level (just for defects). Rules differs from workspace to workspace. It took much time to configure that and one can't keep it all in his head. It's very likely that not everything was configured in a proper way. Since we have SSO configured for Octane it's not easy to validate permissions assigned to user especially when several roles are applied.

Having instance with 2500+ users what we really need is permission helper that would run checks on what is allowed and what is not per user.

Alternatively (or additionally) it would be good to have possibility for workspace admins to emulate user's session.

2 Comments
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

This would be very helpful for us as well.  I have had to change settings, then ask a user to try their access, change again, etc.  I've even opened a ticket for assistance in role configuration because I cannot see the impact of my changes.  

Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

We also have SSO and I can see the need to 'Switch be between' Users.

But I would say that this needs to be heavily audited or only able to switch to users which are not connected to accounts via SSO. 
Along the lines of a "Test User" or "Mask User" that is only available as for testing/use to Admin users and not via the SSO Authentication.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.