Support an opensource database

Support an opensource database

Oracle or MSsql are very very very expensive, opensource alternatives exists, it would be wise to propose at least 1 opensource alternative

5 Comments
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor
Status changed to: Under Consideration

While we can defintely see the value this is a huge undertaking and we need to make sure that putting in the effort will be useful for our customers and that they will use it.

we will begin work on it as soon as we can scertain that enough customers will use it.

The contending DB system is Postgresql

Best Regards,

Tali

Yann_Helleboid Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.
Hi Tali, Nice to talk to you again 🙂 Thanks for your answer. I understand it is a big piece of work. The problem is clearly a money stuff, price for Oracle is raising a lot with Oracle's licences policy and Microsoft prices are not much less. Aside from giving your customer the choice, the next challenge will be to allow us to migrate from Oracle to Postgresql and I guess this one is also tough.
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Great having you here in this forum 🙂 We defintely relate to this problem.

Indeed that will be a challange as well.

Thanks

Tali

Yann_Helleboid Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.
Yes, the first part is to let new customers come in, the second is to avoid existing going out 🙂
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

I got this request from a large ALM (&Octane) customer as well: They'd like to move Octane into their private cloud. Due to internal restrictions the database needs to be on the same private cloud. But it's a very bad - and costly - idea to put Oracle DB into private clouds...

Therefore I'd suggest we open this for votes to understand if there are other customers who have similar requirements.

Thanks a lot,

Dirk

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.