When splitting stories, their Phase should be kept

Idea ID 2697654

When splitting stories, their Phase should be kept

When splitting stories, the phase is always reset to new.

- Either keep the phase

- Or have an option in the dialog to defined the phase of the new story

Use case:

For "in progress" or "in testing" stories I want to see that actually somebody is already working on it or testing it. Currently after splitting I manually have to re-set the phase value.

Currently:

clipboard_image_0.png

4 Comments
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Generally, I think putting the new continued story to new is the correct way to work. The team needs to review the continued story during sprint planning. But, putting an option to set the phase at the time of the split could potentially save some effort.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@Bosklopper: For use it is in most cases (90%) that the story that was in progress is still in progress. Even worse with in testing. That never changes for us when splitting, because it still needs to be tested, nothing more.

Having an option "Target Phase" would be perfect.

Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

@the_coder What are your thoughts on what other fields should be editable when splitting stories? The owner field?

My thoughts would be to have the form default to allow those 2 additional fields (owner and phase) to be editable on the split story ui. Then as default to have the owner cleared and the phase back to 'new'. But a button to set to the original value to make it easier to support your 90% use case.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@Bosklopper: Thank you for asking.
Currently the owner field is not cleared when splitting stories. I think it should be kept like this.

My understanding of splitting is: There is some more work open. Most likely the same person will continue to work on it in the next sprint, so keeping as much as possible should be the default behavior.

Having the 3 fields Name, Target Sprint and Story Points available for editing totally makes sense. As requested I also need Phase and if you like you can also add the Owner. But as a default keep the old data in. If somebody wants to clear the owner that would be only 1 click, however if I want to reselect it, I need to remember it, open the dropdown and find it again.
Also for the Phase: If you would reset it to "New" in the Split Story Dialog, with the current workflow I could not set it to "In Testing" in one step, because that's not an allowed transition.

clipboard_image_0.png

One thing that's actually considered a bug is: https://community.microfocus.com/t5/ALM-Octane-Idea-Exchange/Duplicating-an-item-should-also-copy-the-required-quot-Program/idi-p/2696812
(which also applies to splitting of stories)

Sometimes I need to split stories for another PI but that's a rare case and is fine with setting the PI manually after splitting. So no need to add it to the split dialog.

---

Related but not the same: Often I need to split multiple stories. So a multi split feature would be nice. However I understand that the story point value would be harder to handle in such szenario.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.