Community in read only mode June 18 & 19
This community will be set in READ ONLY mode for a while on Tuesday June 18 into Wednesday June 19 while we import content and users from our Micro Focus Forums community site. MORE INFORMATION
Respected Contributor.. Ravi4it Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

ALM Octane 12.60 installation - Repository

Jump to solution

Hi All,

We are deploying ALM Octane 12.60 enterpise edition. 

We have 6 servers (2 for ALM Octane, 3 for Elastic Search, 1 for Jenkins - CI ).
In addition, we already using ALM server (1), Performance Center Server (1), PC Host server & Load Generators 

Unfortunately, we dont have any server for Shared repository for ALM Octane. 
As per the ALM Octane Installation guide, we need 1 server for  ALM Octane repository (shared)

I am looking for ideas, if the respository can be located in any of the exisiting servers or do i need a dedicated server for shared repository. Currently, we are very much new to ALM Octane, i guess the usage will not be very high initially.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ziv_Birer Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: ALM Octane 12.60 installation - Repository

Jump to solution

Hi,

The guide means that you should not define the repository as local folder in setup.xml (for cluster configuration) .

If you write 'C:\server....' it means that the path is local. 

The reason for this guideline is that setup.xml of both nodes must be the same. If you define repository in node 1 as 'C:\server..' than on second node it can't also be 'C:\server....' because the repository is on first node,

You can define repository on machine 1 or 2, share it (like \\node1\repo) and write it's location in both setup.xml using the shared location notation (for example \\node1\repo).

So:

1. You can define the repository on first node (or second node).

2. When you have cluster, it is not recommended to keep it in installation folder of one of the nodes. It should be on different folder in one the machines.

Regards,

Ziv

4 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi,

The repository can be on one of the octane servers and shared on the netowrk.

IMPORTANT: the repository location is written in setup.xml file. You must use the same folder path in both octane nodes. So you need to write the same shared path description in both files.

Regards

Ziv

0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Many thanks for the reply Ziv_Birer

I have 2 servers for ALM Octane which i am planning top use primary node and secondary node and configure them as cluster.

As per the ALM Octane installation guide or online help for cluster configuration, it states not to have the Repo on the first server node.

"It is important that you enter the repository path using the same path name on all nodes. For example, you cannot have the path on the first server node defined as C:\octane\repo and on additional nodes defined as C:\server1\octane\repo.

If the repository is not located on a remote, dedicated machine, the repository location cannot be /opt/octane."

Does it mean, i can have the repository on the secondary node but not in the installation folder. Kindly correct me. Can i have the shared repository for cluster in the secondary node different from the installation folder

Thanks

0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi,

The guide means that you should not define the repository as local folder in setup.xml (for cluster configuration) .

If you write 'C:\server....' it means that the path is local. 

The reason for this guideline is that setup.xml of both nodes must be the same. If you define repository in node 1 as 'C:\server..' than on second node it can't also be 'C:\server....' because the repository is on first node,

You can define repository on machine 1 or 2, share it (like \\node1\repo) and write it's location in both setup.xml using the shared location notation (for example \\node1\repo).

So:

1. You can define the repository on first node (or second node).

2. When you have cluster, it is not recommended to keep it in installation folder of one of the nodes. It should be on different folder in one the machines.

Regards,

Ziv

Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Many thanks.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.