Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Extract multiple tests with test steps

Hi,

I need to extract 1000s of tests with steps from Octane so i can import into ALM.net.

Anyway to do this?

Thanks in advance

Dave

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Extract multiple tests with test steps

Hi Dave
There are a few options I can think of but before that, I would like to understand what is the use case.
What is the motivation for transferring 1000s of manual tests from ALM Octane to ALM.net?
Are there specific important capabilities related to manual tests that exist in ALM.net and miss from ALM Octane?
Ehud
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hi Ehud,

Thanks for reply.

It basically comes down to our policy and procedures that is driving the need to move manual test from Octane to ALM.net.

We are new to Octane and only using it for development, when releasing to our controlled test environments we are using ALM.net to manage defect and testing. This was easily done with smaill projects with small amount of tests. We plan to open Octane in future but this is the way it has to be for now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Dave 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hi @Ehud Michelson,

If you have time, can you please share your ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Dave
I apologize it took time to answer. I was gathering the required information from different stakeholders.
Regarding your question: there is a tool to migrate tests from ALM.Net to ALM Octane but not the other way, which is what you need.
So I may suggest using REST API of ALM.Net and REST API of ALM Octane to develop your in-house migration tool.
If it interests you then you can find more information about these APIs here:
https://admhelp.microfocus.com/alm/en/12.60/api_refs/REST_TECH_PREVIEW/ALM_REST_API_TP.html
https://admhelp.microfocus.com/octane/en/latest/Online/Content/API/articles_API2.htm
Ehud
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Dave,

If you do not need a solution which migrates the data in real time - like a synchronizer - but migrate manually you could have a look at the GDPR Content Pack (free download at https://marketplace.microfocus.com/appdelivery/content/gdpr-content-pack😞

This is a Excel workbook which pushes data into both ALM/QualityCenter and Octane with VBA and REST. You could re-use the code to download the tests including scripts from Octane into Excel sheets - and then push the tests into ALM/QC.

Regards,

Dirk

Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

If you need exprt from Octane client then you can:

From the Octane support they write me that the only export possible by Octane client is the right click or more button and choose the "Export test steps to Excel"image.png

Select only tests then export test steps. If you need details of test then you have to "Export to Excel".

Then you have to manually (or by macro) take steps and tests together not only from two files but also steps from each tabs to one tab.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.