Respected Contributor.. Jim Hazen Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Figuring out Traceability in Octane

As a new user and administrator of Octane I'm having some difficulty figuring out how Traceability works in the tool.  Any advice from experienced users/admins on how this works and how best to set it up?  I am going to be converting ALM projects to Octane workspaces, and a lot of them are heavily dependent on Traceability. 

We use the ALM Direct Cover Status information for synchronization with JAMA.  I already know the field "Direct Cover Status" doesn't exist in Octane.  Is there an alternative to use, or do I need to create a User Defined field & List for it?

0 Likes
2 Replies
mikesmithson Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Figuring out Traceability in Octane

I had good luck with similar migrations from ALM / AGM / VersionOne to Octane using custom fields and lists where the teams didn't want to, or couldn't, map to an existing object like a user story or an existing field.

Setup the new field and list in Octane and map the Direct Cover Status field should be all that's needed. 

I also add fields for the originating rec ID from the source for the import to provide a cross reference and tag like "ALM Import 6.5.19" to help locate the imported records later.

0 Likes
Herfer
Visitor.

Re: Figuring out Traceability in Octane

You may want to look at this earlier suggestion\post that is currently being worked on my Micro Focus Octane engineers.

https://community.microfocus.com/t5/ALM-Octane-Idea-Exchange/Relationship-Trace-Matrix-Report/idi-p/1674599

@Jim Hazen 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.