NEW_ALM12 Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

How to create/add bulk users in WorkSpace?

Jump to solution

Hi Folks, 

I am curious to know the process/steps to created user or add users in ALM Octane WorkSpace. 

Is there a similar process that we do in ALM.net? 

Created users in SA > Add to project>Assign Role

Example For Octane: 

I have 20 users that I need to create their account in Octane, add them into A workspace and Assign Tester and Leader role. Those 20 users detail is in excel.

So, Can I use excel sheet to create/add users in ALM Octane WorkSpace? Similar to ALM.net.

Note: My authentication Method is Internal.

Please suggest.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: How to create/add bulk users in WorkSpace?

Jump to solution

Hi,

Please find attached a first version of the Octane User Import tool based on the GDPR Content Pack. The code is not at all perfect but you can use it to build your own tool.

The tool checks if if finds the user (identified by the e-mail). If the user is already there the tool sets the right user roles - else it creates the user.

Regards,

Dirk

8 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi,

As far as I know we do not yet have a functionality to do bulk imports of users from Excel into Octane.

If you do this quite often or need to import a large number of users you might use the code from the GDPR Content Pack: Please see module modOCT / subOCTDemoImportUser - hope you understand my code 😉 If not please contact me in here in the forum or directly via email.

Regards,

Dirk

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

@Dirk Hedderich

Thanks much for your suggestion and offer on helping me and hopefully other folks like me. 

I looked at the code/module in GDPR CP, I did understood. But, not sure where to start using this module for importing users into Octane. 

So, if Im not wrong, I would have to fill in "Users" tab/sheet with my users' info. But, do I have to use GDPR Content Pack tab/sheet to import users?

So, few follow up questions.

1) If I need to use GDPR Content Pack tab/sheet, which check should I select (Delete content, import Demo Data and Update content). Im guessing I do not have to select any if Im just importing users into Octane. 

2) In "User" tab /sheet, should have any value for ID?

3) My users' "name/login name" is numeric only. Is numeric value acceptable in "Name" column. 

4) Will Import user macro creates new users into Octane and add users into Workspace and role I want?

Above of all, Im tried importing a user into "Default Shared Space > Default WorkSpace" without selecting (Delete content, import Demo Data and Update content). The import started with importing Requirements, which  do not want. 

6/11/2019 - 19:01:26: INFO: Import Started!
6/11/2019 - 19:01:26: INFO: GDPR Content Pack Version: December 26, 2018 / Excel Version 16.0 on Windows (32-bit) NT 10.00
6/11/2019 - 19:01:27: INFO: Language: English (en)
6/11/2019 - 19:01:27: INFO: Sign-in ALM Octane
6/11/2019 - 19:01:27: INFO: Signed in to ALM Octane!
6/11/2019 - 19:01:28: INFO: ALM Octane Version: 12.60.35.196
6/11/2019 - 19:01:32: INFO: ------- Import requirement data started -------
6/11/2019 - 19:01:32: INFO: Import Requirement row 2
6/11/2019 - 19:01:34: INFO: Import Requirement row 3
6/11/2019 - 19:01:35: INFO: Import Requirement row 4
6/11/2019 - 19:01:37: INFO: Import Requirement row 5
6/11/2019 - 19:01:38: INFO: Import Requirement row 6
6/11/2019 - 19:01:39: INFO: Import Requirement row 7
6/11/2019 - 19:01:40: INFO: Import Requirement row 8
6/11/2019 - 19:01:41: INFO: Import Requirement row 9
6/11/2019 - 19:01:43: INFO: Import Requirement row 10
6/11/2019 - 19:01:43: INFO: Import cancelled by user!
6/11/2019 - 19:01:44: INFO: Signed-out ALM Octane
6/11/2019 - 19:01:52: INFO: ------- Import demo user started -------
6/11/2019 - 19:02:01: INFO: ------- Import demo user started -------

0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi,

When Octane is configured with either LDAP or SSO authentication you have the option to import users from CSV into Octane from Shared-space users administration or Workspace users administration.

Note - users details in the CSV should match the external user store definition and mapping in octane.yml to later have a successful login to Octane.

for more information look for the below in Octane's Help Center:

• Import IdP users for SSO authentication into a workspace (on-premises)
  • Import LDAP users into ALM Octane
0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

@Liat Thanks much for sharing imp info. 

I was aware of it. But. may help someone in this forum. 

I have not implemented SSO auth yet. But, i have a need to create bulk users and assign to them a role. So, Im looking a way to do the task in much simpler way.  

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

@Dirk Hedderich Any update on this would be a great help please.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi @NEW_ALM12 ,

Sorry, I missed that the GDPR Content Pack is still an option!

If you want to import only the users then you can do the following: Go to module GDPRImport / subImportStart and search for 

' ------- Import into ALM Octane --------

subOCTSignIn

subOCTInitialize

Add a new line:

subOCTDemoImportUser

Then remove / comment all lines including this line:

subUpdateRequirements

Now the Octane import will only SignIn, Initialize the connection to Octane and then import the users.

Regarding the Octane User import function: You'll find it in module modOCT /  subOCTDemoImportUser.  The first lines of the sub fetch user roles etc., you'll need to modify that if you need different roles - or just hardcode them if that's ok. The real work starts here:

' Iterate over all user rows

The code first checks if the user is already there - if not the user is created starting from this line:

' We create the user

The quite ugly m_objRequest.Body is JSON code to create the user, you can modify it if you e.g. need different phone numbers than "555-555-5555" 😉

I hope this helps a bit - please contact me directly via e-mail if you need any further help.

Regards,

Dirk

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi,

Please find attached a first version of the Octane User Import tool based on the GDPR Content Pack. The code is not at all perfect but you can use it to build your own tool.

The tool checks if if finds the user (identified by the e-mail). If the user is already there the tool sets the right user roles - else it creates the user.

Regards,

Dirk

Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

@Dirk Hedderich Thanks much for your support. This is amazing. 

In addition to this, I added few condition to meet my need. Example: send auto email to users with detail about their profile created/updated in Octane and some other conditions. 

Credit to you!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.