Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Octane - Jira comparison

Hello, does anyone have a comprehensive comparison between ALM Octane and JIRA? What are the benefits of using one of the tools compared to the other, for example? Or maybe an overview of the tools from three different points of view: tester, developer and manager/scrum master/PO perspective. What are the advantages and disadvantages for this different teams?

Thanks!

5 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

I would like to answer your question by specifying Octane strengths and value:

Micro Focus ALM Octane is a comprehensive, flexible lifecycle management solution that enables your organization to deliver high-quality applications at enterprise scale and unlock the value of investments you’ve already made. ALM Octane is the only product that natively supports Waterfall, Hybrid, and Agile software development with quality management built in, while ensuring a high level of governance and compliance for mission critical systems. The platform supports planning, build analytics, continuous quality, traceability and rich reporting provided via end-to-end view of the software delivery lifecycle.

ALM Octane Product Strengths:

• The only product that natively supports Waterfall, Hybrid, and Agile software development at enterprise scale with quality management built in.
  • Full Agile support at Team, Program & Portfolio level.
  • A unified, end to end lifecycle management platform with no dependencies on 3rd party components for core functionality.
  • Delivers comprehensive governance and compliance for mission critical systems.
  • Built to support Agile at enterprise scale, with out of the box integrations to Project Portfolio Management solutions, providing a “single source of truth”.
  • Comprehensive Data Analytics measure quality, identify change impact, and determine code coverage.
  • Scales seamlessly to support thousands of concurrent users, with no additional product fee for High Availability.
  • Flexible Licensing models including cost-effective Concurrent Licensing in addition to Named users.
  • Packaged integrations with open source and third party solutions to support planning, build analytics, continuous quality, end to end traceability, and extensive reporting.
  • Customizable business flows and governance frameworks
  • Connections to Continuous Integration pipelines for real time application build quality,
  • Designed and built to scale for highly regulated large enterprises.
  • Native support for the most popular Agile frameworks

In case you need further details you are welcome to contact me : sigal.ishay@microfocus.com

Regards,

Sigal

Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

... and you can also use ALM Octane to manage business / process requirements like the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - just download the GDPR Content Pack.

Sorry, could not resist 😉

Dirk

Highlighted
New Member.

I think the question was on the comparison...and the posts though eloquently explains the benefits of ALM but misses the point on JIRA

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

My personal opinion: Please understand Micro Focus employees have to be a bit careful when we compare our product with a competitor's product in a public forum like this. We strongly believe in ALM Octane and are very sure it is the better product - nevertheless we cannot state "Competitor product xyz lacks feature abc!" here.

Did you find any public material from Atlassian where they compare JIRA with ALM Octane? I would assume they handle it like Micro Focus and do not share it in public?

Regards,

Dirk

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

To piggy back on that without going into Octane vs. Jira...this is a trick question to answer.  What we can publicly share since it is known to the Jira users, but likely NOT aware to people interested in Octane is that in order to get the capability in Jira that you get out of the box with Octane, a Jira user would have to purchase several add-ons as well as go to other vendors that provide add-ons (i.e. for test management), in order to even be able to compare Jira with Octane at all.  

So, for instance if you have ALL of the add-ons that plug-in with Jira to include those 3rd party add-ons and not just using Jira for defect management, then it would make sense to take a look at Octane and compare for yourself.  HOWEVER, if you're only using Jira for defect management or one/two other things, there's really no fair comparison.

Feel free to reach out to me directly at michael.ant.doughty@microfocus.com as I'm a Solutions Architect and would be happy to discuss more as well as show you the product to provide you a better understanding.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.