SRoy
New Member.

Template to enter tasks in ALM Octane

Hi,

Am looking for an automated way of entering tasks in User Stories in ALM Octane. Does Octane support entry of tasks by way of template ? I could find template supported for entering User Stories but can't seem to find any templates for addition of tasks in similar manner. Please suggest

Thanks,

0 Likes
28 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Template to enter tasks in ALM Octane

Hi

The context for creating tasks is inside a backlog item. In this context, templates are supported for tasks in the same way as user stories.

Open a backlog item, such as a user story. Select the Tasks tab and click +Task to add a task. The dialog box that opens lets you save, update, and use templates.

For more details on using templates, see the ALM Octane Help Center.

Regards,

Tamar Moses, ALM Octane documentation 

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

if you want to have fixed list of tasks added each time you add a story, you can do that as well, just save story template with list of tasks in the `tasks` field of the story. And use this template when creating the story, now u will get those tasks created each time story is created.

The task itself will be created with blank template.

idan_bauer1 Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

to add on top of that.

in the user story/ defect entity new form there's a special field called "tasks to generate"

each line in this field will generate a task for this story. 

you can save the field as part of your new US template so you can in fact create a composite template this way.

Tell us how we can make Octane better!
mnimth Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

I am not able to create templates with your suggestion. I get the error message "The column 'tasks to generate' represents a field that does not exist in ALM Octane. Rename the column correctly and try again."

Can you confirm this actually works

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Just valdiated again, and it's working on our internal Octane instance, but it might be of newer version than yours.

Which version of octane are you using, I can try and validate on that version ot make sure it should work for you.

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Product version: 12.55.8.164

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I checked on 12.55.8 and it seems to work fine for me.

I might be missing some thing in how you are using it.

If you would like, we can have screen sharing session, you can share your screen and show me how you are using it.

If you are intrested, let me know and I will send you connection details via private message.

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

That would be great as many of my users are desperate for this feature to work. Let me know when works for you.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

@mnimth I have talked with feature owner for import back log items from excel and currently we don't support import of tasks when importing back log items.

I will forward this thread to our functional architect to see what can be done about it,

Thanks,
Alex

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

If it's an option that you use Excel to upload tasks you could use the REST API - you'll find an example how to add tasks automatically in the ALM Octane Online Help at Developer Help > The REST API > Common flows > Add "test" tasks to work items.

Regards,

Dirk

Trusted Contributor.

quick question, do you have a task widget? I am being asked to provide a task dashboard as this is how leadership would like to track progress.

Thank you

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

At the moment we have widgets for Backlog Items (stories / defects / quality stories), and for Features.

Working under the assumption, that management tracks at higher level than task, and indevidual tasks are tracked by the story / defect owner and they don't need widgets for it.

And can see the list of tasks assigned to them in My Work module.

If you have specific use case where tracking progress of stories / defects and features is not good enought and there is need to track task progress as well at management level, it would be great if you could outline that use case, and I will make sure to add our functional architect to this discussion.

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Hello and thank you for your assistance in the matter. I have asked the PMO to articulate to me what they wanted:

need to be able to see how the tasks are progressing in a user story, independent of the status of the user story. The current view allows me to see how a user story status is progressing, but I lose sight of how the various tasks contained in user story are progressing without diving into the details. I need to see how we are working down tasks even when a user story remains in progress, especially when that user story may move to in progress at the start of sprint and is not expected to close until the end of a sprint….i need to see us working down the backlog at the granular level.

the current view of Octane is at the user story level and since user stories can span across 3-weeks, we only see a high level view into work progress. To be able to track teams and their daily progress, we need to have a task-level view which allows for a more accurate measurement/view into workstream progress.

the task-level dashboard views we would need to see are as follows:
•    Tasks by Team
•    Tasks by Feature and Team
•    Tasks by User Story and Team
•    Task Progress and Teams
•    Task Movement (Last Modified)
•    Tasks by Team and Owner
•    Tasks by Due Date
•    Tasks by Estimated Hours, Invest Hours, Remaining Hours
•    Task by RICEFW IDs & SharePoint ID (To see if the information is blank)
•    Burndown chart at the task level

Trusted Contributor.

Any updates to this?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.