Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.
sworcjusz Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Validation of octane.yml failed - LDAP configuration issue

Hi, I try to set up ALM Octane on single server plus elastic search on another. Ewerything worked except the last step - configuration of LDAP. I tried multiple combinations but I get general info: 

ERROR: Validation failed:
2018/08/17 11:11:12 | jvm 1 | Failed to configure LDAP. See Exception for more details, exception=Validation failed:
2018/08/17 11:11:12 | jvm 1 | Failed to configure LDAP. See Exception for more details

Unfortunatelly I couldn't find any more info inside wrapper.log (log level set to DEBUG)
When I validate the whole octane.yml file in online tool it passed without any warning.

Do you have any suggestions what could go wrong? Below you can find section responsible for LDAP:

ldap:
connectionTimeout: 120
adminDn: OU=Corp,DC=verit,DC=dnv,DC=com
servers:
host: a.a.a.a
port: 389
isSsl: N
baseDirectories: OU=Corp,DC=verit,DC=dnv,DC=com
baseFilters:
description:
authentication:
method: simple
user: yyy
password: xxx
mapping:
dn: distinguishedName
uid: objectGUID
lastName: sn
fullName: cn
logonName: sAMAccountName
email: mail
phone1:

0 Likes
10 Replies
Ziv_Birer Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: Validation of octane.yml failed - LDAP configuration issue

Hi,

Can you please attach 'octane.yml' file and also a zip of entire 'log' folder?

Thanks,

Ziv Birer (Octane R&D)

0 Likes
Regular Contributor.

Thanks for answer. Here are both files

0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Hi,

It seems that there iare issues with LDAP section in octane.yml

Please try to use attached octane.yml (I fixed the problems there)

0 Likes
Regular Contributor.

Hi, I still struggle with LDAP configuration. I've used the file sent by you but the error persists.

I've updated ALM Octane to 12.60 and still the same. 
Please find attached octane.yml and wrapper.log

0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Hi,

I will check this on my machine and let you know.

Regards,

Ziv

0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Hi,

We found another syntax error in the file.

Please try attached fix file.

Ziv

0 Likes
Regular Contributor.

Hi again 🙂

There is a light in the tunel, i hope it's not a train.

I don't get Validation Error anymore. Now it says there is a problem with mapping of mandatory parameters like logonName etc. See log file. 

Thanks again for your time spent on this

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.

Hi,

The error that you see mean that user 'OU=Corp,DC=verit,DC=dnv,DC=com' that is defined as the administrator (value of 'adminDn' in octane.yml) does have in LDAP server the attributes that are defined for each user in octane.yml/

Please check in LDAP server that all expcted fields exists: distinguishedName, objectGUID, givenName, sn, cn, sAMAccountName, mail

The error from wrapper.log:

The mandatory firstName, email, lastName, logonName is missing for the user with DN 'OU=Corp,DC=verit,DC=dnv,DC=com'.

The expected LDAP fields for each user (from octane.yml):

mapping:
dn: distinguishedName
uid: objectGUID
firstName: givenName
lastName: sn
fullName: cn
logonName: sAMAccountName
email: mail

0 Likes
AdamCyb Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Answer on behalf of Sworcjusz.

Problem is solved, but I have to say it was really tricky case 🙂

There were two issues:

1. I had to update ALM Octane config file with proper string (full path to AD object)  to make it work.

In our case AD path to our Octane service account is adminDn: CN=<service_account_name>,OU=Service Accounts,OU=Common Services,OU=Corp,DC=<my>,DC=<domain>.,DC=com

2. It seems during start up Octane validates service account attributes. In our case Octane service account was created in AD without "Last name" and "e-mail address" attribues. After update system is up and running, including LDAP integration :).

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you'll have any quesiton or comment regarding this case.

0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Thanks for the update.

Please let us know if you have any suggestion to make LDAP integration easier. Should we change the error messages? Should we change the validator checks?

Regards,

Ziv

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.