Respected Contributor.. CoachGeorg Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

What is the use case for original ID?

Jump to solution

We would like to sync two workspaces. It seems that after sync is performed we will have an new epic with a different ID. Now there is a field "original ID" available and I would like to know if that could be a good fit or if there is a specific use case for that field which differs from my understanding?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Georg

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Jesper Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: What is the use case for original ID?

Jump to solution
You have to create new UDF's in both workspaces containing the ID from the other - you could call it Synched id or something

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

How are you syncing two workspaces?  In any case - the ID of the entity is automatically assigned by Octane and cannot be changed externally.  The original ID is there to ensure traceability so that you know where that entity came from and can be linked externally.

Thanks

Spencer

Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

There is a tool for syncing available. 

We would not like to change the ID. We would like to use the ID in order to get it synced to a field in the new entity. I would like to see in workspace B in a new entity a referal to the original ID and was pretty sure that this field "original_ID" would be it. But unfortunately it didn´t work.

So what is the caes with that original_ID? It seems it worked with an older sync prozess which isn´t available any more. But how can I get that ID of entitiy A1 to show up in a field of entity B1?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
So this is my point. I am trying to understand which sync solution you are using. The original_id UDF was added by the Octane synchronizer for syncing between ALM/Jira and Octane so that the ID from the original source would be able to be seen in the synced entity in Octane. Because I am not sure which sync you are using I am not sure how to help with why the original_id field is not being updated
0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Oh, sorry, I didn´t mention it. It is MF Connect. I don´t no any other tool for that.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
So you should map the ID from the source entity to the original_id in Connect.

Does this help?
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution
You have to create new UDF's in both workspaces containing the ID from the other - you could call it Synched id or something

View solution in original post

Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Thanks Jesper, that works! Great. Now there is only one thing - as we sync entity A1 in a phase other than “new” and in workspace B a new entity appears in “new”, after refresh the entity A1 falls back into phase “new”. But it should stay in the phase where it was at last. Any idea?

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

This is only a problem for already created defects I guess:( But if you have a lot that might be a challenge to correct manually. For new defects it will not occur...

You might want to start synching without phase to start with and then later add phase one way or something and then two-ways....but you have to allow most transitions i guess.

br jesper 

0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

@slbruce Thanks so far, but please have a look at what jesper replied. "You have to create new UDF's in both workspaces containing the ID from the other" - that is what helped. But thanks for your idea!

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

By the way have you mapped the phases

New = New

etc...

0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

no, only one way and we do not sync defects, we sync epics. And even with completely new ones that problem occurs.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.