Highlighted
New Member.

ALM 12.53 - Text sizes are too big

Hello Team,

I am using ALM 12.53 and the size of the texts showing are too big. I have check the Windows text size setting and it was 100% .i.e. recommended setting and the zoom% in internet explorer is 100%.

WindowsTextSize.jpg

ALM looks like below;

ALMTextSize.png

Not sure what's wrong here, Could anyone suggest some ideas to try to get the text size to normal.

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Hi there,

This problem is most likely your screen resolution. ALM requires a minimum of 1024 x 768. At lower resolutions fewer items fit on the screen, but they appear larger.

(Statements expressed here are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.)

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

My screen resolution is set beyond 1024.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

Hi,

I am using the SAAS version of ALM and I have this problem as well. I'm using a 4k screen (Dell XP15) and the font size is too large in IE11 to be able to read and the layout is terrible.

Is there a solution? Is ALM going to be updated to support high DPI screens?

Regards,

Conrad

0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

I'm using 12.55 BTW
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I tink the main reason is that you have computer that has big screen and big resolution and therefore you have set up the bigger size of the fonts. Maybe the windows 10 do it automaticaly. Go to the settings to Display:

image.png

and see if you have set up 100% scaling or custom or any other.

Highlighted
Visitor.

Thanks however that is not the solution.

15" screens are normal on laptops and 4k resolution is now common place . Yes the issue is scaling however you cannot set a 4k screen to 100% scaling as the fonts would be so small they are unreadable.

The application needs to do the scaling appropriately for the screen DPI.

I was hoping there would be an actual solution offered here offered by the product developers. Is this application still being maintained or we need to use an alternative competitor product?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I understand that it is not the solution but that's the reason. That is the limitation of ALM.

The ALM client is Windows Active X thick internet explorer client (nearly 10 and more years old technology). It is not the pure HTML and the system requirement for ALM Client is the 100% DPI. See the system requirements:

https://admhelp.microfocus.com/alm/specs/alm-qc-system-requirements.htm

So if you use diffrent settings than the ALM client is not recommended and tested and therefore it does not work.

I do not like it also.

I have also big screen resolution even on standard computer and use 110% DPI. It is bigger and the ALM Client text is in some parts big but moustly good and is bigger and better readable. I have also send to MicroFocus (before HP) the enhancement request that shoudl be possible to be change the size of text but the request is defferred.

You chould also send it. More customers send the same reequest more likely it will be changed.

This is the customer comunity (forum) not the Micro Focus support.

But as I see you could try the newest version as in the system requirement there is this notes for version ALM 12.60:

--------------------------

DPI Setting: 100%

ALM 12.60 features improved support for tablet devices. Using manufacturer-recommended screen resolution, the recommended DPI setting is 125% and the maximum DPI setting is up to 150%.

------------------------

So maybe it will work better even on normal computer and not only on tablet.

And lastly if you do not like it. You can try ALM Octane that I think is the future of ALM because it is completele new product and HTML based. And most customers (ALM Enterprise) has this version for free as an upgrade.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.