New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

ALM 12.x obligatory permits SA Database to perform an upgrade

In ALM 12.x is obligatory permits SA Database to perform an upgrade. This previously was not. The installation manuals say it is not mandatory, but it is false.

It would be good that could be done using an account with specific permissions, but not SA.

Is this going to change in the future?

This is in SQL Server 2008 and 2012.  Processes for the upgrade running SP (Statistics) from the database. These require mandatory permission as SA

Best regards!
Siddin Jose

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Commodore
Commodore

Hi,

It is not mandatory to use the SQL sa account. You can always create a new user with Database Creators and Security Administrators roles to install or upgrade to ALM 12.xx

In your case, it seems that the account does not have enough permissions, or have more permissions than required. I recommend you to contact your DBA and open a case with Support for further assistance and this seems not to be a simple issue.

Regards,
Alvaro.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi Abriceno,

It is not that way.

- If I try to do UPGRADE to SA, does not allow me.

- I also tried creating a new user, but when making the UPGRADE tells me it is mandatory that the user has SA permission.

I can not create a new user with Database Creators and Security Administrators roles to install or upgrade to ALM 12.xx any more. I can make it to the version ALM 11.x , but I can not in ALM 12.x

Regards

0 Likes
Highlighted
Commodore
Commodore

Hi,

After some research, this is a bug in the SQL Server with the Admin Accounts (except for sa). The explanation for the bug is at -> https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/436562/sp-updatestats-access-denied-for-db-owner-member

Also, the way to fix it, is by giving the proper permissions to the SQL Account:

create procedure dbo.up_updstats

with execute as 'dbo'

as

exec sp_updatestats

go

grant execute on dbo.up_updstats to [ HPPQC...user]

go

After that, you should be able to do the upgrade.

Regards,

Alvaro.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.