Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

ALM 15.5 installation - failed to validate database parameters

Hi,

ALM app server: Windows Server 2016, 16GB RAM
ALM DB server: Windows server 2012 Standard R2 64 Bit + MS SQL 2014, RAM 12 GB

ALM 15.5 new installation in Windows server with DB shared with ALM 12.6, so DB connection is working.
During the ALM installation, Database Server configuration:
DB type = MS SQL - SQL Auth,
DB parameters: DB server's IP, default port 1433
ERROR: Failed to validate database parameters

I can see same issue even in QC 11.
I tried :
1. TCP/IP protocol enabling,
2. DB's collation = SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
3. SQL Server Browser Service is Running

Any help?

Thx
Zdenka

Tags: SQL ALM

Tags (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Do you have the installation/deployment log? If so I can take a quick look.

I would suggest you to open a support ticket to Micro Focus so our engineers will look deep into it.

0 Likes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Hi David,

I've already opened MF ticket and no help so far.
If it would be issue with DB drivers I've reinstalled Java 8, then install OpenJDK and no help.
Windows server 2012 R2, MS  SQL 2014 connection string: 
default jdbc:sqlserver://DB_IP:1433 and also jdbc:mercury:sqlserver://DB_IP:1433
DB is working correctly - as I'm using it also for ALM 12.6, FW opened. Tried to install under different local admin account.

Thx for help
Zdenka

Log:

Is validation 'DISKSPACE_VALIDATION_ENABLED' enabled: true
Validation name: 'DirectoryLocationValidation'
Validation status: SUCCEED

Validation name: 'InstallationDiskSpaceValidation'
Validation status: SUCCEED

Executing: DatabaseServerCustomPanel
Is validation 'DB_SUPPORTED_VALIDATION_ENABLED' enabled: true
Validation name: 'SupportedDBEngineValidation'
Validation status: FAIL
Message type: ERROR
User message: 'Failed to validate database parameters.'
Log message: 'Error validation DB parameters
EXCEPTION:
com.hp.alm.platform.db.CTdDriverManager.getConnection(CTdDriverManager.java:63)
com.mercury.optane.core.qccheckhelpers.DbAccessUsingConnection.openConnection(DbAccessUsingConnection.java:117)
com.mercury.optane.core.qccheckhelpers.DbAccessUsingConnection.<init>(DbAccessUsingConnection.java:46)
com.mercury.optane.core.qccheckhelpers.CTdCheckDBHelper.useConnection(CTdCheckDBHelper.java:511)
com.mercury.optane.core.qccheckhelpers.CTdCheckDBHelper.getDbHelper(CTdCheckDBHelper.java:93)

0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

what is the url you are using for your 12.6 installation?

Is there any additional parameters?

0 Likes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Hi Chiqiu,
I'm not installing ALM 12.6, it's running for most than 4 years with no issue. Also installation went OK.
I'm struggling with ALM 15.5 installation. What is interesting that I'm using same shared DB server as is used for ALM 12.6
- url for ALM 12.6 installation? do you mean the DB connection string? I'm using the same as in ALM 12.6 env and tried also default suggested during the  ALM 15.5 installation.
In that installation screen - you need to fill the type of DB= MS SQL (not Oracle), DB connection string and the DB admin user + pwd.

Thx Zdenka

0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Yes, I mean the connection string. If you are using extra parameters in your 12.6 connection string, it will be a little different in the ms sql server connection string. If not you need to check the networking to the db server from the machine you are installing ALM

0 Likes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

I tried : 
- jdbc:mercury:sqlserver://IP:1433 - working for our ALM 12.6 using that shared DB server
and also 
- jdbc:sqlserver://IP:1433 - suggested by ALM 15.5 installator
no success

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.