Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ALM Responsible Tester in Test Lab

Hi all,

Currently in ALM, the responsible tester is populated by whoever brings the test scripts over to the test set. Is there any way to keep this field blank when the test script is brought over using workflow code? We would like to upload tester IDs into this field using excel and want to run metrics so having the responsible tester name autopopulated would make the metrics inaccurate.

I have attempted to use the following:

Sub TestSetTests_MoveTo
     On Error Resume Next

TestSetTest_Fields.Field("TC_TESTER_NAME").IsReadOnly = False
     TestSetTest_Fields.Field("TC_TESTER_NAME").Value = ""

End If
On Error GoTo 0
End Sub

However, the responsible tester name is populated when the script is added and disappears if I click to modify a field. This is not what I'm looking for since the responsible tester name will ALWAYS disappear. I need workflow code to not initially populate this field and then end.

Also, very new to workflow code so please try to explain in simpler terms

EDIT: I also just tried to following but it did not work:

Function ActionCanExecute(ActionName)
     On Error Resume Next

If ActionName = "TestLabTestsEntitySelection.AddTestsToTestSet" then
          TestSetTest_Fields.Field("TC_TESTER_NAME").IsReadOnly = False
          TestSetTest_Fields.Field("TC_TESTER_NAME").Value = ""
     End if

End Function

Thanks!

0 Likes
20 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Anyone have any ideas?

I started to work with Sub TestSetTests_AfterPost and had the procedure spit out a Msgbox of the TC_TESTER_NAME value (which was still blank at the time), but it seems like ALM runs another procedure after AfterPost that populates the responsible tester to the person moving the test scripts into the set

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Is there a way to run a function after a subprocedure is called?

Something like

If subprocedure = TestSetTests_AfterPost then

ResponsibleTester.Value = ""

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I am also trying to populate the Responsible Tester in Test Lab with what exists in the Designer field in Test Plan.

Did you every find a solution that worked? If so, can you please reply with the workflow script as well as which event to place it in?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi,

You need first to get the ID of the newly created test instance; then create a TSTest object, update the Responsible Tester field with the default value and post it:

Sub TestSetTests_AfterPost

Dim instanceID
    Dim objTestInstance

instanceID = TestSetTest_Fields.Field("TC_TESTCYCL_ID").Value
    Set objTestInstance = TDConnection.TSTestFactory.Item(instanceID)

objTestInstance.Field("TC_TESTER_NAME") = "<someDefaultVal>"
    objTestInstance.Post

Set objTestInstance = Nothing

End Sub

I hope this works for you.

Best regards,

Ivaylo Ivanov

Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Whispus,

I am trying to do the same...but experienced the same problem as you

Could you please let me know if you were able to code it to stop autopopulating the responsible tester field

Thanks

Ranjith

0 Likes
Highlighted
Captain Captain
Captain

I know we can have the Tester's name populated in "Test Lab" and as well as in "Test Runs" by adding some additional script to the workflow, but is there a way to have the email id of the Tester populated in "Test Runs" or in "Test Lab"?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The answer is Yes.

You may need to add an extra UDF(User defined field) field which represents User's email for Test Instance or/and Run entity in Customization, and fill email of Tester in that UDF. And show that field by selecting visible fields on UI.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Admiral
Admiral

I'm curious as to why you want the email address displayed. Is it so that the entity (defect/test/requirement etc.) may be emailed? Because if that's the case, when the MailTo field is used, the userID can be entered in there and as long as the email is in that user's profile, it will be sent according to that user's email in it's profile
0 Likes
Highlighted
Captain Captain
Captain

Yes, I did add a New UDF in customization and named it as "Tester Email", but how do i get it linked to the field of "Tester", so that it shows the email ID of the particular Tester. My ask is to obtain the email ID of the field "Tester ".

Since LDAP is configured for us, we will be getting the user id of that user in "Tester" column, so it should also provide me with the user's email ID in "Tester Email" column (newly created UDF). I made it available in visible columns, but the linkage is not happening for "Tester" and "Tester Email"

Highlighted
Captain Captain
Captain

Since we are in the initial phase for one of the project and trying to see if everything goes smoothly, we are tracking each and every runs for some days. So, if there is any clarification we need, we would want to reach out to them by having their email address.
Highlighted
Admiral
Admiral

Thanks for the reply and explaining. In this case though, I don't think you need to capture the tester's email in a field for every test. Since the user's email is always going to be the same no matter what test it is. You only need to make sure that the users have their email address included in their User Properties (Tools/Customize/User Properties). Then if you need to contact a user, you can use MailTo in ALM.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.