Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Applying cross project customizations

Hey all,

I need a little guidance on applying cross project customizations.

At this point I have a template project and a linked project.

When a change is made to the template will that change be propagated to the linked project?

I am unsure whether linking should occur before or after the template has been customized.

Ideally I would like to be able to link projects today, with no customization in place on the template, and then gradually introduce the customizations required over time. This is because I am in a "moving target" environment and projects are ín flight.

This page; http://alm-help.saas.hpe.com/en/12.50/online_help/Content/Admin/cust_crossproj_apply.htm  seems to suggest that my preferred approach will work but I would like to get some clarification.

A speedy response would be appreciated if thats at all possible.

Ed.

Edward Moore
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Edward. When you make a change to a template project, the change is not propagated to the linked project until you actually apply the customization. So it's not an automatic process. You can wait as long as you wish to propagate the changes, although you should try not to push too many changes out at once for performance & testing reasons. Your approach will work fine.

Does the template project & linked project have data in them now?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Hello Ed,

Linking a project to a template creates relation between the both. Once you link a project to a template, the project will appear in the cross project customization window of the template where you can apply the customization to the project. Simply linking wont affect the project in anyway.

The template code will govern the project flow only after cross project customization is applied on the linked project. So whenever a code change happens in the template, you will have to apply customization to all the linked project for the code to take effect.

To sum it up,

Link project to template(one time activity) >> Apply customization (for the first time)>> Code change in template >> Apply customization to the project(whenever there is a code change)

Regards,

Sharad

Please mark this post as "accepted solution" if it solves your problem and don't forget to add KUDOS!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.